Labor with hypertension

I'm 39 wks and in these last two weeks my blood pressure has been steadily but slowly rising at each appt. My dr says there's no need to worry yet, but obviously he's never been pregnant (this is my first). I'm worried about labor is there a cut off point where they just say ok your blood pressure is two high, we need to do a c section, or will they just let me ride it out? Will they induce me if it gets to a certain number even before I show any signs of dilation/effacement?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Normally if you bloodpressure gets too high they will induce you and give you magnesium. Which when they mix pitocin and magnesium they counter react! Pitocin is to start labor, and magnesium is used to stop labor! lol* It depends on the stress level of the baby. My daughters heartbeat kept dropping, so I had to either deliver within the hour, or go in for an emergency c-section. I was able to deliver thank goodness! If they aren't concerened yet than im sure its ok. But if you start having symptoms of pre-eclampsia/toxemia then I would go to the hospital to make sure everything is ok with you and the baby.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• They may try inducing you anytime, just to keep your pressure from going any higher. They induced me at 36 weeks with Hypertension/toxemia. I had no problems, other than the pain. LOL.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• if its gets to high they will induce or do a c section depending on how high it was. i had high pressure when i was in labor but they gave me an iv of medication and i had my daughter by vaginal so i think it depends on how high your blood pressure is
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2009