How can I releive his fears?

My 11 year old son is refusing to sleep in his room. For the past two weeks or so, my son is insisting that he keeps seeing ghostly figures in his room at night. He comes into our room and refuses to go back to his room. If we tell him nothing is there, he accuses us of not beleiving him. Any suggestions?

DrewsMom543

Asked by DrewsMom543 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• That's hard.....haven't had this expierience. I would let him sleep on a pallet on my floor, don't make it to comfortable, a pillow and blanket. And just keep reassuring him, he needs to know that you "believe him" but don't encourage it. Maybe if the pallet isn't to comfortable he will leave sooner rather then later.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I can only tell you what has worked for me. I turn all the lights on and show my son there is nothing.. Then I put a night light on. And we talk about what ever shadows are in the room. I sit with him for a minute and always give him something happy to think about. It works well for us. Hope it works for you.
    tiredmom1998

Answer by tiredmom1998 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I am having this same problem. It is driving me crazy - my son is afraid that he is going to die and wants to sleep with me. I have tried laying down with him but he wakes up the minute I leave. I have limited scary stuff (video games and TV). I think it is a phase (hopefully) - I am just going to try to ride it out. Hope you ahve better luck.
    amy16

Answer by amy16 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009