How do I stop the use of binkies without the tears and tantrums. Is ther a less stressful way I am at a loss cause this is my first kid

My daughter is two years old and is having speech problems so the the therapists said to get rid of ALL binkies but we are having a problem with it she throws tantrums and cries and screams I just wish ther was a less stressful way of doing this.

newmom

Asked by newmom at 10:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our 2 year old was extremely attached to hers. She would try to talk around it and everything. Since we couldn't get her to just go cold turkey without tears we decided to try and snip the very tip off. We gave it to her and I got the hardest laugh of my life when she tried it out, then immediately took it out and said "It boke". We told her yep but that's all that we had so if she wanted it she had to make do.

She sucked on it anyways. We continued to cut off more everyday until she was barely able to hold the dang nipple in her mouth with her teeth. Stubborn little girl. Finally she got fed up and threw it away and hasn't asked for once since. This was 4 years ago.

It was a perfect solution for us.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• No matter what, there will be tears and tantrums taking it away. so...either leave her with it against her therapist's advice or take them away.

Do you want to draw the drama out, wean her. Do you want it to be over quicker, take them away. Offer her another comfort...let her pick out a new "friend" (stuffed animal or doll) but take them away. Our boys only were allowed to have pacifiers when sleeping, so it was a bit easier for them...but on the third day, it was all over.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• No matter what, there will be tears and tantrums taking it away.

Not true. We had NO tears or tantrums without method. Not one.

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2009