Stopping breastfeeding!!

What do I do about engorgement? My son is seven months old with teeth and it hurts too damn bad to feed him. My nipple is killing me from where he just bit down and he bit HARD!!!

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you need to let your milk dry up which will just take time.Do not pump because your milk will keep coming in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When you feel that your son is about to bite simply push his face into you a little bit. He will think that he cannot breath and will let go immediately. If you still want to stop nursing just because you've not worked out how to stop biting yet then go for it but I would try a few things first :)

They have to learn. Just like you will have to learn how to get him to stop.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter had 4 teeth by the time she was 6 weeks old. When she would bite I just pulled her away, said "no biting" and waited a minute or 2 and put her back on the breast. It didn't take very long before she got the idea. I nursed til she was 14 months old with very few biting incidents. If you are really set on stopping, try cold compresses for the engorgement issue.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 10:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• babies do not bite in order to inflict pain, they have no idea what they are doing!
    if you want to continue nursing you can visit a breastfeeding group for advice on how to get over the biting.
    if not it's suggest that to wean you drop one feeding a day per week. stopping cold turkey can cause serious issues like mastitis so that's really not advisable.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Cabbage leaves!! You have to use the green er ones. I thought it sounded crazy too...I had girlfriends tell me about them and when I asked my Doc. she said yup best thing to do. Change them every couple of hours...they will be full of milk and smell...throw them out and start with a new pair. They will work almost immediately, about an hour. Believe me I know how you feel my nips were chapped, scabbed and bleeding...OUCH!!! Oh, and you will def. need to wear some good breatpads behind them ( I used Johnson&Johnson brand). Good Luck!
    bellasmommy09

Answer by bellasmommy09 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Are you sure you want to quit nursing? My son went through a biting stage and I just told him "No" and unlatched him. He caught on pretty quickly. If he bit me he didn't get to nurse.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When i stopped i just started to go futher in between pumpings. For example I was pumping every 3 hours, so one day I just pushed it to 4 hours and increased an extra hour every day. So when I stopped I really wasn't sore or engourged for more than about a week.

This also help me feel more comfortable switching him to formula.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When he bites down yell out OW! REALLY LOUD!!! (loud is the key here.) Yes it will scare him. he will cry. when he calms down relatch him. If he does it again, yell out again this time maybe lay him down to fuss a little bit. After he calms down again, relatch him. Especially for boys, it will probably work after just two times.
    What goes through his mind: He's hungry so he's eating. He bites down and hear's this loud shreak that scares him. He calms down realizes everything's okay. Latches again and begins eating he is happy! He bites down for a second time and hears the same scary shreak again. Then when you lay him down he's not getting what he wants, FOOD! so the odds are when you latch him on again he probably won't bite you again. If he does do it a third time. By that time I pretty much guarantee he won't bite again.
    The plus, is you still get to give you ds that wonderful milk and you can still enjoy the experience
    MommaLovesJacob

Answer by MommaLovesJacob at 11:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yeah I say pump just until you are comfortable but no more than that. Then your ds will still have a little bit of breast milk before he switches to formula.

Don't feel pressured to keep nursing, if it's uncomfortable for you then only you can make that decision, not every mom on cafemom. But if you're hoping to continue then try what these ladies are saying. I'm sure they work.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Cabbage leaves and ice packs!

Engorgement sucks ass (I went through it just a few weeks ago), and you have to suffer while it goes away on its own. But if you put cabbage leaves inside your bra and ice packs on top of your boobs, the cooling sensation will feel so amazingly good. If you really truly want to dry up your milk, you have to keep all things warm off your boobs. Don't let the stream directly hit them in the shower, don't stimulate your nipples, don't pump at all. By putting something cold on them, that'll cause them to dry up. My engorgement only lasted about three days. It was absolute torture, but now I'm perfectly fine (I tried breastfeeding but it didn't work out for me).

It's your choice in the end. Everyone above has offered great tips if you want to continue breastfeeding, but I thought I'd give you some advice about drying the milk up in case you choose that path :0]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009