is 40 going on 41 really a bad age for wanting a second child?

see my son will be 7yrs this summer so I started a little later than usual anyway because I did the corporate work world first and starting a family second. I just feel like my son is out of the baby- cutesy stage and I would love to put my all into another child of my own not an adopted one. I am a very dedicated mom in everyway, work took a backseat once I had my son. We are a happy family but our son often talks about having a sibling and I feel awful since I am one of five. I am a very young and vivacious 40yr old, that I need to tell you my age and show proof because it does not show. My mom just turned 75 and is by no means a feeble old lady she took care of my son while we went out to work and is involved in his life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nah, I think it's pretty normal to have a kid at that age now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• naaa nothing wrong at all go for it
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 11:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Nothing wrong at all! My best friend's mom had her when she was 38 and her dad was 40. And don't worry about your son being too old or anything, my older brother is eight years older than me and even though we're half a generation apart, we get along great now that we're adults :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Just keep in mind that you'd most likely be tagged as high risk if you got pregnant at this point. Risks of birth defects and premature labor basically start to rise by exponential numbers after age 35 or so, and I've also heard it's harder for older women to recover from birth.

However, that doesn't mean that you'll have any issue at all either. My neighbor had her first at 39 and he's a beautiful little boy, completely healthy. What it really comes down to is what's right for you.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 2:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I had my 2nd child at 40 - no big deal. We had to go thru extra ultrasounds & genetic testing, but other than that, it was like my other pregnancy (at 38 - I was a late bloomer! lol). My recovery wasnt any different - other than dealing with both a newborn & a toddler! I didnt have any problems with delivery and he is a happy, healthy boy! Good luck!! :)
    FL_momof2

Answer by FL_momof2 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009