How do I help my 2month old have a BM more smoothly?

She is breastfed and only has a problem about every other week for about 2 or 3 days. She goes, but its only a little squirt. You can also tell its painful for her b/c she cries and can't sleep. I make sure she empties my breast before switching so she gets the hind-milk. What else can I do?

rHOPEb

Asked by rHOPEb at 10:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is there anything you are eating consistently that might lead her to be uncomfortable?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I bought a nursing tea and had a cup every day when I was nursing. It seemed to help with gassiness and bowel movements.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter is now 6 months old, but from birth I have always had problems with her having a BM on a daily basis and I with the advice of my doctor put 1 tsp. of dark Karo syrup in her bottle once or twice a day. This helped tremendously. Before this she would squeeze so hard that formula would come shooting out of her nose. To this day I am still using this or she wouldn't go on her own. The doctor told me she squeezes so hard because her stomache muscles are just not strong enough. Once she gets a bit older I believe it is around 4 months you can mix 1 ounce of prune juice with 1 ounce of water in a bottle and try that. It sure works, but she didn't really like it. I hope this helps. Any questions feel free to ask because I know how frustrating it can be.
    urbanbear

Answer by urbanbear at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My 2 month old is have the same problem. We use the Karo Syrup. Just talk a syringe, fill it with 1tsp. of Karo, and then breast milk, and mix. We alternate. I pump milk into a bottle, get a little in the syringe, and then the Karo, then breast milk, and so on...until there is a little over 1 tsp, and slowly squirt it in to the side of her mouth, but give her time to swallow whats in there, and then feed her. If this doesn't work, then take a wipe with a little vaseline on it, and massage her hiney...never penetrate tho...and usually massaging about 5 or 10 minutes works,
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 2:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• be sure to wipe all the vaseline away, because too much moisture down there will cause it to "chafe" and only make it more painful for her to go. Also if she becomes constipated, try a glycerin suppository (talk to your pedi first) and insert it half way into the rectum, and wait. It does wonders with the lubrication that it provides!!! She will go almost instantly, and its so much less painful.
    wishwish