Isn't this a little Premature?

Read this online: New York Times reporter warns of one-term Obama

White House reporters for The New York Times predict that the market collapse will force President-elect Barack Obama to abandon for now many of his campaign promises.

If his stimulus plan "doesn’t work out, he may very well be a one-term president,” said Jeff Zeleny, who covered Obama’s campaign. “It’s hard to imagine that he could be reelected if the economy’s in the exact same position four years from now.”

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Uhh....just a tad.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have been saying for months that no matter who won the election, Obama or McCain, they would only be a one term president. People are looking for quick fixes and no one can deliver on that. I think he will be a one termer. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• well yes it's premature but it is possible.It has nothing to do w/obama, it would have been true and has been true for every president.."if he doesn't fix it, he'll be a 1 term pres" well no crap lol.I don't care what they say, i am hopeful about this country for the first time in years and I'm riding the high for as long as I can.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Why are you sorry, it is your opinion.

I see that as a possibility, but I agree it is way too early to say. However, it was exactly what took down Bush Part I.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• He made the promises knowing the economy was bad.... Well, the market problems were going on WHILE he was campaigning. And in the last debate, (I believe) he said he could fix the economy AND deal with his campaign promises. He said a few may need to be tweaked.... But then "one on one", no one asked him any hard hitting questions to confirm he could do it all. Bill O'Reilly did, and Obama said he was confident. Sooooooo, who knows, it's gonna be a loooooooooooon 4 years, imo ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Grly: he didn't say he could fix the economy, he said he was better equipped to fix the economy than McCain. (not quibbling, just wanted you to know what he said).
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• The economy can't get any worse than it is now. The only way to go from here is up! I think he will be a two-term President! And I agree it's waaayy premature. Let him get inaugurated first AT THE LEAST!
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 10:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Fiveofakind: Ok, I was thinking about his Promises to rescue the middle class in that big whoop to do ad he made. Since I am middle class, I take that as a promise to rescue middle class is the same as fixing the economy.
    Recently, he did say he will create 4 million new jobs by 2010(more than eighty percent of them in the private sector) to improve the economy. (said this last week). That would be approx 5, 634 jobs a day he needs to create starting January 21, 2009. Again, we'll see.. If he does it, I would be HAPPY to eat my words. So we'll see...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Actually he said his plan could create 4 million jobs..       "President-elect Barack Obama said in his weekly radio address that his $775-billion economic stimulus package could create almost 4 million jobs."    He also warned that not passing the legislation could result in an unemployment rate of 9 percent. Unemployment is already at 7.2 percent.

Last year saw almost 3 million jobs disappear, and Obama said doing nothing now could result in up to 4 million more people out of work.

continues

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Obama said most of the jobs created by the proposed stimulus plan would be in the private sector.

"The jobs we create will be in businesses large and small across a wide range of industries. And they'll be the kind of jobs that don't just put people to work in the short term, but position our economy to lead the world in the long-term," Obama said Saturday.

He said the recession that began in 2007 could last much longer if Congress doesn't pass his plan.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2009