Does anyone have any good tips on how to keep paperwork more organized?

I am talking about all paperwork.... kids schoolwork, report cards, bills, other mail, etc

mushmouse

Asked by mushmouse at 10:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Wow. Big question. It really depends on the type of person you are. Are you organized in other aspects and just can't get the paperwork under control? I'll share what I do and you can see if it might work for you.

School work is pitched unless it is something special or a super grade. That plus any special artwork and report cards are kept in a clear plastic bin on each child's closet shelf. Easily accessible to me, but not so much for them. As they get older though, they can put them away themselves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• For bills, I keep a pink plastic flexi-file in the kitchen. That holds all the years current utility bills, insurance, etc. for easy accessability. Once the year is up, they get moved to a large filing cabinet in our office to be kept for another year.

The biggest key is opening up the mail by a trash can and immediately pitching what is not needed. Bills to pay get put into a basket hanging up where I keep stamps, labels, calculator, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I tend to use a file box that I bought at Walmart for paperwork. Bills are left in a basket right near the phone as I pay all my bills over the phone. Kids school work, report cards, artwork and some such is displayed for a while then put into a box either for keepsake purposes or trash.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I think you should have a recycle bin for papers in the rooms paper stacks up. Also if you have to hold on to things for a litte bit you can get all units that hold the paper, or put them in a file. Or think though that it's easiest when you can just sort quickly and through away the stuff you know you don't need right away while sitting at your desk.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2009