How do you save money on groceries?

What are your money saving tips for grocery shopping?

mushmouse

Asked by mushmouse at 10:35 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Shopping

• Coupons, generic, sales and making a menu

I had to learn that just because I had a coupon did not make it cheaper. I also write down a list of meals I want to cook and make sure I have what I need so I am not making extra trips to the store. When something I use a lot is on sale I might get more than one because I know I will use it otherwise I just get what I need, just because it is on sale does not mean I need a lot of it.
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Mainly the basics- check the ads before shopping. Use coupons, and the main thing is to stock up when something is on sale. You really need a big freezer. When ground beef was on sale for 99 cents a pound, I bought 20 pounds, divided it into 1 and 2 pound segments in freezer bags and put it it the chest freezer in the garage. Albertson's often has great deals on milk and cereal. Name brand cereal 3/$5- I buy 9 boxes and use a coupon.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 10:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I make a list from a weekly menu, too, but stuff like meats and cereal and stuff you know you're going to use I buy a ton of when it's on sale really cheap!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 10:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I buy generic, and I watch for sales...if I have extra money I stock up on things I use often. Also, making things from scratch is typically cheaper and not to mention, healthier.

I buy a lot of ground turkey....where I live its atleast $1 per lb. cheaper than ground beef. I also shop on Sundays when most stores mark down their meat and produce.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 10:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I use coupons and sometimes I end up getting items for less than 50 cents that would normally be over $2. The Sunday paper is normally under $1 a week if you get the Sunday only subscription, and I use $5-$10 per week of coupons for stuff I would normally buy anyway, then I also go to name brand websites where they often have additional coupons for other products I use often. I plan out what I am going to buy in advance, then look for sales. If I get to the store and find that pork chops are cheaper than beef steaks that week, I do a quick re-work of the menu and buy the pork chops instead. I have 5 people (2 growing boys, my hubby, myself and my 4 year old daughter) to feed on $350 a month, so I have to make it work lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Shop at Aldi, baby!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Like everyone else ---- generic, sales, & Wal-mart. Wal-mart is cheaper than any other place (at least that I've found) Generics are almost always cheaper than using coupons on the name brands -- except maybe sometimes when a store will have a triple-coupon-day. It's good to watch the sales ads, though, because sometimes a grocer will have a certain few items at a great price --- just have to be willing to go to 4 or 5 places to get your groceries.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Sometimes brand names are cheaper than generics if you have a grocery stores that doubles or triples coupons. Our grocery stores all around here double up to 99 cents which makes a ton of stuff free or cheap. For examples, Green Giant steamers (veggies) were $1.00 and I had 3 $1.00 coupons. I got three for free. You just have to watch the sales, check price per ounce, and most of all......plan a menu so you're not shopping blind.
    Anonymous

• I shop at WinCo---they're about 30-40% cheaper on average than the big grocery stores. Walmart is a little higher, but WinCo doesn't always carry a large variety--so some things I head to Wally World for. Mainly just staying out of Safeway or Albertsons or Top saves me the most money.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 7:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I like to combine coupons with store sales - many times items come out free - especially if the soter doubles the coupons
    tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 1:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009