What type are hot teas are you allowed/not alowed to drink during pregnancy?

CloverKisa

Asked by CloverKisa at 10:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Best to stick with black teas. Herbal teas can be bad for you and it's confusing, so I just stuck with decaf black teas.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• yeah decaf is the best when pregnant
    vmoran06

Answer by vmoran06 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Like everything you should always ask your doctor. I was told not to drink any herbal teas for weight loss, etc. No "unusual" ingredients. Stick to decaf if you can - caffeine should be limited and tea is pretty high in caffeine. I drank Chamomile, "Sleepytime" ... I love hot tea. If their is one particular tea you love, check the ingredient list for anything.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:47 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would stick to decaf. I know you're definitely not supposed to have tea with licorice (the herb, not the candy) in it. Red rasberry leaf tea is AWESOME for you during pregnancy! It helps tone and strengthen your uterus.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:00 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Many teas are safe. Chamomile is safe, raspberry tea is also safe. You can drink hot lipton teas, you can drink orange teas. There is a Pregnancy Tea by traditional medicinals that helps overall health during pregnancy and I love it, and drink it.

Is there a specific tea you were wondering about? Most herbal teas are safe, you just have to read the ingredients.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I do know that herbals can be tricky during pregnancy because some are helpful and others are harmful. Goldenseal , for instance, is an absolute no-no because it can cause premature labor. Check with your doctor, of course, before trying anything herbal.

Celestial Seasonings has a selection of fruit teas that I don't believe contain any herbs. Check the ingredients list first, though.
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 11:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2009