I want to breastfeed again...EXTREME nipple pain...

I nursed my only daughter for 1 week and then pumped breastmilk for another 4. She only got breastmilk for 5 weeks and my goal had been 6 months at least. I was and still am really depressed over this. I am not pregnant but we are TTC and when we have more babies, I want to breastfeed them! The only thing is, since my first nursing experience, my nipples were never the same. Before I was pregnant, they never hurt. During pregnancy they were always sore, and once I tried to nurse she chewed the hell out of them. They have NEVER been the same. They hurt almost all the time now, just a dull aching pain all the time.they hurt SEVERELY when they are BARELY touched.How on earth will I ever nurse again? Is there anything I can do now to make this better before pregnancy makes them even more sore all over again????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• You know, in all my years I have never heard about that. I am concerned for you. Please call La Leche League in your area. They may be able to recommend something to help. Please let us know what they say.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with going to LLL. I think you need an IBCLC, and some LLLLeaders are IBCLC's as well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Have you seen your doctor about this? It could be hormonal or maybe some sort of infection that needs to be taken care of. Definately get it checked out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Wow, I honestly thought this would be something like "that happened to me, it's normal, try this!" answers... I definitely think I should go to the doctor or at least LLL now... :/
    I hope it's nothing serious. My daughter was born almost 2 years ago.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 11:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• oh yea, I am OP.. I actually I don't know why I hit the anonymous button.
    MamaCatCat

• Sounds like you have what I had with both my kids who were by the way 11 months apart. Before I breast fed I would put oragel on both my nipples and when it took effect I washed it off good and it didn't hurt as bad. It was mastitis milk ducts get clogged you should stand under hot shower head and milk yourself as much as you can to prevent this. I didn't with my daughter and one of my breast swelled up big as a milk jug and I just cried until my grandma told me what to do about it!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 2:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• pregnancy is what causes the change in breasts and nipples(and your body in general,) not breastfeeding.
    the best advice i can give you is to, once you are pregnant, start attending local la leche league meetings. information and support are the key to breastfeeding success.
    good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I wonder if you have a yeast infection in your nipples. Yeast could have entered into the breaks in the skin of your nipples made when they were being traumatized, for lack of a better word. I had a yeast infection while nursing my last baby, and it was HELL. It is very different than mastitis, and I've had both. It will probably be hard to get your OB to believe that this is what is wrong with you. The cure for it is either nystatin cream or a systemic anti-fungal. If you can't get a prescription, you could try putting Monistat 7 cream on your nipples and see if that makes a difference. DEFINITELY get in touch with someone from LLL or a certified lactation consultant. She can tell you what to do for a yeast infection and be wonderful support for you as you embark on your next breastfeeding experience. I admire you for seeking out the help so that you can breastfeed again!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I didn't even think thrush because she's not nursing. But it does make sense. She could have gotten it during that short nursing experience, and left untreated, I guess it could only get worse!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well, I nursed DD for 5 weeks when she was born, but that was nearly 2 years ago. I am not currently nursing and haven't lactated in 22 months.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 6:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009