how can i get my 7 year old to stop bed wetting

jen190

Asked by jen190 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hi Jen,
    7 is such a hard age. My 9 year old has fought it for years. But we have figured out a few things that greatly decrease the amount of occurances... I just checked her progress chart and it has been close to 3 months since the last occurance..
    First of all, plan ahead and stop fluids after dinner. If he/she is thirsty one drink of water will be ok. I also make sure she goes to the bathroom right before going to bed. Probably the most important thing we have done though is greatly limit the amount of sugar she gets. NO soda pop, limited candy, and lots of water during the day. Work on setting him/her up on a schedule. If you notice.. most adults use the bathroom around the same time each day.
    mrssfoster

Answer by mrssfoster at 10:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter used to have this problem because she sleepslike a rock. I would get her up one time in the middle of the night...usually 3 hrs after she went to bed. She would go to bed at 8 and I would take her at 11 before I went to bed. We never had an accident anymore and her confidence went up. she would sleep the whole time I carried her in the bathroom and I would have to tell her to pee.. and hold her on the toliet. She stayed asleep the whole time. The first few weeks I thought it was a pain but I got used to it and it was easier than changing the sheets. Our doctor said some bladders just take longer to mature but they will eventually grow out of it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• WOW! My daughter was potty trained at 3 and started pre-school, she hasn't wet the bed since she was in diapers. My son is 13, hasn't wet the bed since he was 3. I don't let them drink after a certain time before bed! Talk with your doctor so you can rule out any bladder problems!
    aniyasm

Answer by aniyasm at 12:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well my son is only 4 but my daughter is 6. They both were potty trained by the time they were 2 and didn't wet the bed at all. However when they were both around 3 or 3 1/2 they started wetting the bed every night. My daughter had to have her tonsils removed when she was almost 5 b/c they were enlarged and after that she never had another accident and has still not had an accident and is almost 7. My son still wets the bed every night but we still have yet to figure out what is wrong with him. We don't let him drink after supper and even at supper is limited to 1 glass and it is a small kids cup and he only has water or tea in it and we make our tea with sweet-n-low so he doesn't have much sugar at all. We make him go to the bathroom before he goes to bed. So I am not sure how to fix it.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 1:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• First, this is very, very common. I'm sure you are familiar with the Good Night pants. Would a company make and sell a product if no one needed it? Of course not. Companies are all about profits and they only make products that make profits. So try not to let the "my kid was fully trained" parents bug you. You didn't do anything wrong, they didn't do anything "right", and your kid is normal.

Next, have you tried a bedwetting alarm? They have a great sucess rate. They are very good for sound-sleepers. They help retrain the child's sleeping brain to hear and do something about that "I've got to go!" feeling. You can find them online or at many medical supply stores.

Limiting fluids is great. Waking your child to go is great. Helping your child to learn to wake herself is best.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My oldest son pt'd at 13 months but wet the bed until a month before he turned 10. He has a small bladder. My 5 year old has been pt'd for 3 years but he still wets the bed and probably will for a while. For some reason my girls never have this problem, only my boys.

There isn't a thing I could do about it. He doesn't try to, it's something they will out grow. I know it's a pain but one day it won't be a problem anymore. Good luck!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• they might get cold my son wet the bed every now and then n he 6 and been potty train goin on a year my neice was wetting the bed ntil she was 11 1/2 or so right around the time she started her period n she was takening med for wetting the bed n wore those good night that looked like under wear
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I was a bedwetter and the foster parents were cruel about it, they would give me cold baths for punishment or make me hand wash my own sheets and hang them on the line=even in winter.My son wets the bed rarely and I have never punished him,like the other moms whom all has given WONDERFUL advise to limit the drinking and potty befor bedtime, but the thing is their bladder hasnt fully developed but in time it will.Your child is very normal and in time it will stop.And yes it is good to put a pullup on at night for the 'just in case' and I would tell my son that no one needs to know and that sometimes peeing the bed is not your fault, my son who is almost 8 rarely ever pees the bed but when he does I hug him and tell him I love him and thats its ok it will get better,all these mothers sound wonderful and love their kids to death and being a child bedwetter it makes me feel good to this day,this generation is more understanding.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2009