• In the Spotlight:

Working and breastpumps? I am going back to work but, only for 2 or 3 days, do I really need a expensive automatic breastpump or can I just use manual one my sister gave me??

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had no luck with a manual breast pump. I think it just depends on the person. You'll probably have to try it and see before buying another one. I mean, I'd pump for 30 minutes with a manual pump to get less than 2 oz of milk. I just wouldn't let down for the manual one.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 10:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• One of my friends actually prefered the manual to the electric. Whatever you use, you'll want to practice some before you start back to work. I'd say try the manual one at home and see how it's going to work for you. If it doesn't seem to be doing it for you after a week or two of practice, then buy something better.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I preferred my manual.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I think it depends on how much time you'll have for pumping as well. I only have 30 minutes for lunch, so I use an electric pump. I have a Lansinoh dual pump and I'm able to pump 5 oz. in 10 - 15 minutes.
    Tara0508

Answer by Tara0508 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i got mine from walamrt for 50 dollares and the thing works great its a double eletric breast pump .manul pumps take long and you dont get as ,much milk out
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Try the manual out and if it feels like it works then use it, and if it doesn't end up working buy a more expensive pump. It's really worth the money considering how much you'd spend on formula if you didn't nurse. I use the Ameda one and it works great.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2009