Would you ever be a surrogate?

I read a NYT article not too long ago about a woman and her surrogate. This surrogate had the other woman's egg and the other woman's husband's sperm implanted in her, so the baby was not biologically hers in any way, she was just the 'oven.' The pay off was somewhere around $30,000. Would you do this? Would your husband/SO let you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I know for a fact that I could never do this. I would want to keep the baby. I couldn't fathom the thought of growing it inside of me and then giving it away.
    Maybe that is selfish, but I just can't
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 11:03 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I could do it, easily, but my dh wouldn't let me while he was here. Now if he ever went on a deployment for over 9 months he would support it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I was actually talking to my husband about this the other day. I would maybe do it, but I think it would be hard going through all the stresses of pregnancy for money. Knowing that it leads to a baby makes it all worth it, but money? I don't know. It would be nice to help another couple know the joys of being parents. My husband said if I wanted to do it I could, but I still have some reservations. I would never have a baby in a hospital and I the parents would probably want the surrogate mother to. I also don't know what type ot tests I would be required to agree to during the pregnancy.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would do it IF I didn't have to have c-sections for every pregnancy, and I do. So, lets say I didn't... I would only do it for someone I already knew, a friend or family. I think 30 G's in 9 months is way worth it! However, I will never be able to help anyone in that way. I know that if I could and was asked I'd help my one friend, she has back problems and probably couldn't carry a baby
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would do it, I like being pregnant (after the first 3 mths) some may call me crazy but it just feels so natural to me.
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I am looking into it now actually. I am working with a local hospital trying to find the right people to be a surrogate for

Frogger33

Answer by Frogger33 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• yeah id do it i have easy pregnanices so i wouldnt mind doing for some else
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• only way i could ever do something like this would be for a family member of mine or a really good friend other wise i don't think i could give the baby up not being able to be a part of its life and knowing for total sure it would be ok
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 11:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with greeniemommy. I would do it for a close relative or very good friend but I don't think I could do it for a stranger.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I could. My aunt asked me about it but she wants me to have the birth of her choice and I'm not willing. It would have to be on my terms.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009