• In the Spotlight:

11 year old and blinking....

My 11 year old is having uncontrollable eye blinking. She is blinking all the time. She says she can't help it. She has also been really emotional for the past few weeks. Crying, saying she don't know what is wrong with her, and things like that. This is a child that always happy and really outgoing. I ask her last night and she told me that she felt like her body was shaking on the inside all the time....but she's not shaking. What could be wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Has she had her period?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I looked it up and came up with anxiety and Tourettes. I would take her in for evaluation. It could be anxiety, but if it is at the level where it is effecting her physically, maybe they can help her with it. Poor girl. Give her a hug from me.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• ORIGINAL POSTER mom of 11 year old

No, she is developing and but does not have underarm hair or body order yet. she really doesn't have acne either. I read that these things would occur with the pre-period emotions. would the period have anything to do with the eye blinking and shaky feeling??? There are other things, she thinks she is in love with a boy that she doesn't see other than at school. he argues with her a lot too. So, I don't know if it is a combination of things or if something is wrong. I'm afraid to make her break up with the boy because of how she is acting. If her dad finds out this is what he will do. I'm a nervous wreck myself. This is just so not like my child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You know, I hate to ask this since she is so young and it is hard to deal with, but could she have anxiety due to the boyfriend? I mean has he asked or forced her to do something she is uncomfortable with?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• She is only around him at school. However, she does talk to the boy on the phone. This is how they argue. I have ask her if something has been done or said to her out of the way. She says no. Thanks for your help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Reading the post, I assume you may be the poster to other questions related to this subject. I think you should take her to see her peditrician. Let them know what is going on. ALL of it. Then see what they suggest you do. You must be honest with the doctor. Don't leave out any information, no matter how embarrassing it may be. You may also want to sit her down and talk with her to make sure that no one has violated her in any way. Especially if she is given a lot of freedom such as sleepovers. Even if it is just relatives, you still want to explore this as a possibility. 7 out of 10 cases of inappropriate touching is done by a family member. You may trust your family and friends, but how much freedom do they give your child at their home?
    Anonymous

• Some of these are symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I have it and I feel shaky on the inside, but not the outside when my blood sugar is too low. It can also damage your eyes which would cause the blinking. If you don't feel well then you don't act your best either.
    As far as the boyfriend... why do you let her talk to him on the phone if all they do is argue? It can't be good for her. I know you said that she only sees him @ school, but things happen in bathrooms or behind trees/building where teachers can't see.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 7:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009