Our 25 year old son moved back home temp. after a split with his fiance. It's taking a while to get him off the mortgage. He got an offer from a friend for free lodging in Europe this fall. I said "great, go for it" my husband said "get your life back in order first" He'll have to stay with us a little longer, as he'll use his saved money for airfare and expenses. What do you think?

momrt

Asked by momrt at 7:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think he is 25 and perfectly capable of making the decision on his own, but I commend you for supporting the idea. To me it doesn't sound bad, I personally think it would be a great opportunity.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 8:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I think it sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Too few of us get to visit other parts of the world while we are young!
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree with JustinScottsmom. Yall are doing a great job!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Sorry I agree with your husband he is an adult and should be getting his life together not running off to Europe spending his last dollar. What about when he comes back are you going to support him then? In the end he is an adult who should be making his own decisions but I see you DH point
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 11:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• He's 25, what are the chances that he'll ever have an opportunity like this again. Speaking in relative terms, I know most people I know have never been to Europe, and will probably never get the chance. If your husband thinks he should put the trip off, that probably because he loves him and wants his life to be as easy or non stressful as possible. But, with all due respect... His life will still be there when he gets back and haven't you wanted to forget about things going on in your life? Well he's got a perfectly good reason to know, he shoulld go and enjoy himself :)
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 12:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• fly lil birdie fly!
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• how does hubby know that he won't get his life back by going to Europe? He might find his fate there. I say encourage him to take advantage of all opportunities to see what life has to offer. If Europe is just a life experience then so be it. His life will be fuller and richer for it. He can always get his life in order and grow old like the rest of us when he gets back!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It is an opportunity he shouldn't miss!
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Wait a minute, your 25 yr old son bought a house with a woman he wasn't married to. They split up and he moved home rent free? and now he wants to go free load on somebody else? (the fact that it is in europe does not impress me.) Well he is 25 and there is nothing you can do to stop him. But I would let him know that he won't be coming home to rent free again (if that is the case) and maybe he should get a job in Europe. Might look great on his resume. You know him; you have to draw the line between lending a helping hand and enabling him to be a life long moocher. Aren't there enough irresponsible men in the world?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2008

• Great your son should go and enjoy himself, my daughter is 20 and I encourage her to go and do as much as you can, life is to short not to!!! Luckily my husband agrees with me.
    belladmom

Answer by belladmom at 3:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2008