Former Christians, and those questioning your faith...what made you doubt?

Let me preface this with a disclaimer: The following is NOT what I believe. I also don't believe that this is what every Christian believes!

I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian church, and was taught that the Mormon church is a cult, same with JW. My parents still believe that all Catholics are going to hell, all Jews are going to hell.

Buddhists and Hindus and Muslims are going to burn in hell even worse (if that is possible) because they don't even believe in God (although i know that to be false, too.).

lawmom623

Asked by lawmom623 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Basically, I grew up surrounded by all this hatred - as an adult, I experienced some of the same hatred when I divorced a man who thought it was okay to hit me and be unfaithful, and more when I became pregnant by a man who was pagan. My uncle even tried to perform an exorcism on my innocent baby because he believed that she must be possessed because of her origins.
    I couldn't (and still don't) believe that a loving God could condone a church that is so filled with hate....
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I grew up in an atheist family. I started attending a Church right up the road from where I lived when I was a freshman in High School because my strict parents wouldn't ever let me go out with my friends. It didn't take long for them to start grounding me from Church for no reason. I went to a Church with the same exact beliefs that you just explained. I became super passionate about Christ though. I was so curious because I didn't know a lot about my new found faith and my peers seemed to. I was shy though, so until something very traumatic happened to me when I was 16 I didn't speak up much. When I was 16 I started asking lots of questions. Questions that somehow seemed to hard for my youth pastor to answer. The final straw that led me away from being a Christian was when my youth pastor was giving a lesson about how babies automatically go to heaven. So I asked him how old someone had to be before they supposedly should "know better" and go to Hell whether they believe or not.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 8:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• He said around 4. He continued to say that the ONLY way to heaven is through a relationship with Jesus Christ and believing he is the son of God. So I asked him what about the 4 year olds in villages in other countries who have never heard of Jesus or our God? He told me that they go to hell because (somehow) they should know. They should see the world, the trees, the sky, whatever, and know that it is all God's work, and know about Jesus too. That's just BS. I told him something along those lines and he told me I was being a sinner and by thinking that is wrong I am putting myself above God blah blah blah. I asked the pastor of my Church the same question and got the same response. I am now a firm believer in, if it feels like you're doing something wrong, you are. If not, you're not. I don't know what I believe yet spiritually but I know now it is not Christianity, or most other organized religion.
    thisloveofmine

• god is loving and mercyful and only he can guide and judge. I am so sorry for this happened to you. I cant imagine all of this most of been hard on you. Just pray to god to show you the way to get to heaven? Even though he put you though all this it happeneds for a reason only he knows. Just dont loose your belief in god for what made me doubt my christian faith was first logic to me than my heart. I felt it was the right way because in islam we believe in alot of them things in christianity as we said before. see when i learned things about the different christian religions I never doubted all of it just some. Please promise me that you will try to study islam true teaching from a muslim i would be happy to share what i know and if i dont know find someone who does and pray for your family.
    wow that must have been so hard for you. YOu deserve to be happy Inshallah ( may god will it for you)
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 8:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• In islam divorce is allowed exspecially in that situation
    From my understanding christianity doesnt allow divorce
    my mom when she divorced her 1st husband my brother and sisters dad she had to pay an enollment to the church she is catholic
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 8:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I hope you find your way some more good video on you tube
    Yusuf eses
    he is a former pastor from texas he converted to islam i will get exat name of spicific vieos for you. But if you just type in his name there is tons You are a very good person i can tell and you deserve to be happy you deseve to have peace and remember that since you were smart enough to feel that what your family was saying is wrong it means god has blessed you with a good heart
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 8:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• MuslimMom, I have never turned my back on God, as he has always been there for me. It is only people who have failed me. Thank you for your kindness. I know very little about Islam, but I want to learn more. That is part of my reason in starting these threads.

I use another screenname on some sites, seeker623...I am still seeking the truth. I know that God is real...I am still searching for the best way to find him.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Let me start with this for one. I came across it as I was starting to doubt.http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/868733/One_of_my_favorites_Offensive
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• And I found this also. "Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; Or he can, but does not want to: Or he cannot and does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is not omnipotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. But, if God both can and wants to abolish evil, then how come evil is in the world? If he is neither able nor willing to abolish evil, then why call him God?"-- And the clincher came when my prayers went unanswered. I was doubting and asking for help in renewing a shaken faith and what did I get?? A whole lotta nothing.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Been standing on my own two feet since. And relying on my own power to make it in this world.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008