how to deal with whining

my daughter is 20 months, and has entered this stage where she stopped trying to use use and sign language to communicate, and all she does is whine. even for simple things. my husband has no patience for this at all, and mine is running short as well. i dont want to punish her for it cause i know shes just trying to communicate her own fustration. please help!

TARA26

Asked by TARA26 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with everyone else. Tell her you cannot understand her when she whines and do not respond to her whining at all. If it gets too irritating, walk away from her. She is kind of little so you may have to resign yourself to it for a few more months. Remember though, she is little and sometimes when they hit growth spurts or things like that they regress. My daughter communicates with points and screams, she hardly uses any words yet. I totally know what you are going through.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My oldest used to be really whiny (still is sometimes). I just tell her I can't understand her when she whines and please ask or tell me nicely. And it helps to not say that in a mocking whiny voice (ahem). It takes some time, but it eventually worked.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yep. Just tell her that you can't understand when she uses her whiny voice. Nicely ask her to use her real voice (or nice voice). If she makes any attempt to use a good voice, then reward her with attention and/or whatever she was asking for. If she keeps using a whiny voice, ignore her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• exactly what kaycee14 said...Just tell her that you can't understand when she uses her whiny voice. Nicely ask her to use her real voice (or nice voice). If she makes any attempt to use a good voice, then reward her with attention and/or whatever she was asking for. If she keeps using a whiny voice, ignore her.
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009