Did I hurt my tailbone?...

I fell down the stairs on my butt, last week. and the pain was so bad @ first that i couldnt hardly walk @ all. its been over a week and it still hurts 2 lay on my back, lean back while sitting, and pretty much anything else that isnt just standing still. The pain is mostly in my "lower back" a little higher than my tailbone.. but Im not a dr, so I dont know. should I go see a dr? or just wait it out and see if it heals on its own?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 11:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2012 in Health

• Yep... I have done that by falling hard on my butt. There is nothing to do but let it heal. It sucks and takes a long time...6 weeks at least. The doctor will probably tell you the same thing. If you are worried you should go in, but I think he will just tell you to be careful and let it heal.

Hope you get some relief soon.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2012

• go to your doctor. There isn't much s/he can do aside from take X-rays and give good meds, though. Both DH and one of his sisters have broken their tailbones. It hurt for a good while, like months. But there wasn't anything they could do but give meds.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2012

• Yes, sounds like that to me. I broke my tailbone and the pain was so, so, so bad. I have a high tolerance for pain, but I could not move without strong medication. I couldn't move the first week, couldn't even get out of a bed. It took another month before I could move around freely. I had to carry a big pillow around and use it on car trips. Couldn't even drive. This was 9 years ago, and it still bothers me from time to time.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2012

• Probably... but from my experience, there is nothing a Dr. can do for it. I injured mine twice, once when my cousin jumped off the teeter totter and another when I was thrown out of the back of a pick up when it over turned. I've had back issues every since. Nothing that can be done about it, or so my Dr. said. Is it too uncomfortable to get some good rest? My Dr. has me on Neurontin for both the back pain and general arthritis. It's the only thing that helps me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2012

• Tailbone Injury Symptoms

Severe localized pain and tenderness may be felt in the tailbone area.

If the injury is traumatic, a bruise may be visible in this area.

The pain is generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.

Bowel movementsand straining are often painful.

Some women may experience pain during sexual intercourse.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2012