Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Adopting a step child and terminating parental rights

Anyone know how to do this? What is grounds for it? My poor daughter would be better off with her pos bio mom out of the picture compleetly than she is right now holding on to hope she will see or call her. And when she does see her it sets her healing process back. My daughter was seriously abused and neglected so she doesnt want to go see her or be left alone. Right now it's ordered every other sat for 4 hours supervised at a McDonald's, but she of course doesn't show. UGH
I jsut want this nut out of our lives so we can all move on and heal.
The past 6 months she has only seen my daughter 3 times.
She has from what I understand also no showed on her other kids that are in foster care. (but continues to think she does nothing wrong)
She keeps refusing the court ordered drug test that was ordered in May so we can't even use it as proof against her.

Answer Question

Asked by mommymeg03 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2012 in Adoption

Level 13 (1,235 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • If you dont have a lawyer already, check w/ your local Bar Assoc. to get a referral for a family law attorney. You can get a free or low cost consultation to see what your rights are & the steps you need to take. Hopefully the bio mom would be willing to sign away her parental rights. Sounds like a sad situation, & I hope it works out the way you want it. GL!

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2012

  • The Bio mom has to give up her parental rights. Or I think the courts can do it to. Go talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2012

  • From what I could find if she has abused, abandoned, or failed to maintain contact with her those are all reasons a judge may terminate her parental rights. The link below has more information on the process:


    Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2012

  • You need to keep track of all the times she did not show for visitation. Check out the abandonment laws in your state- Talk to a lawyer - If she is refusing court ordered drug testing I would hope the courts would take all of this into consideration. Sometimes unfortunately it just takes time before any termination can be done. The longer she does not show for visits or has no contact the better for you.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2012

  • in our state 90 days no contact is grounds for termination based on abandonement.
    If she isnt doing the drug test I woudl file a motion against her, simple really- if you dont then they are goign to ask what took you so long if your so concerened about your SD's emotions.

    People dont realize that allowing the emotion distress and abandonment / neglect to continue for X anount of time can actually go against them. You need to call a lawyer and get going on this - the longer you wait, the less chance you have of looking like you really have her best interest at heart instead of just trying to take her child.

    No disrespect or blame here, just honesty. have seen it too many times.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2012

  • Even if and when you get her mother out of the picture, it doesn't mean your 3 year old will easily move on and heal. In fact I find it unlikely. I suggest therapy for her.

    Answer by onethentwins at 8:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption

Next question overall (General Parenting)
My daughter's bio mom SUCKS