I need some advice!

My grandma picks up my 2 children 2 days a week from daycare while im in school. I have a 7 month old and a 2 year old. My grandpa goes to strap in my 7 month old and has a hard time so he just straps on what he can and has my grandma sit in the back to watch her. I am completely against this and dont know how to get her to do it right. I have told her many times and she keeps doing it. She has done it 2 times already. Does anyone have any advice please I want my kids safe. She says that they are uncomfortable in the seats cause my daughter cries but i would rather them be safe than comfortable. I have showed them many times on how to loosen the straps to get them in but they dont seem to do it i guess. Any Ideas will help!!!

kaylie_08

Asked by kaylie_08 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Personally, I would tell them that they are to be strapped in properly or you will either call the police and report them or not let them take the kids at all. This is not just a safety issue, but a life and death issue. Tell them that in a crash there is nothing that Grandma can do at that precise moment to save your baby. This is not something that you can bend on. GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Situations with family members are hard... even when things seem black & white. You are right to be concerned about the safety of your children, and have done the right thing by voicing your concerns to your grandparents. They should also want the children to be safe! Are the carseat they use always in their vehicle? Perhaps you could help them get the seats set up properly. Go for a visit, and while you're there put the kids in the carseats yourself, and adjust the straps so they will be in the right position for your kids. When children are fastened in their seats properly, they should also be comfortable, so maybe the straps are too tight! If your grandparents are still unsure about how to strap them in properly, perhaps you could talk to the daycare, and one of the workers would be able to help get them secured safely in the car before they go on their way?
    Sunni31

Answer by Sunni31 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well in their defense...it could be that they really don't understand it and don't see it as important like you do. That doesnt make it less important but if you are truly uncomfortable with this, then I would find different arrangements. Also the PP had a good point. How about asking one of the workers to come out with them everyday and strap them in for them. It could be that they are having a hard time with the buckle. I know that I have to work really hard to get the 5pt harness clipped in if hes wiggling around and not cooperating. They may just not be strong enough to do it. In the end...its YOUR responsibility to assure their safety by making sure your childcare arrangements are best for your situation. If they don't do it all to your liking, then find someone else.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with all of the other moms. I'm sure that the workers at daycare would be willing to help strap them in their seats, because the safety of your children is of upmost importance to them, too. Babies cry, carseats or not. You'll need to work out another solution or make an ultimatum.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Tell them if they can't do it right then they won't be picking up your children and you will need to find someone else to pick them up.
    if you can't afford a different sitter, explain to them what a burden it would be to have to pay someone to pick them up and keep them safe, but you will do what you have to do to keep your children safe.
    Smear on the GUILT really thick.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009