My baby just turned 1yr and the doctor say's that I need to change her to whole milk.I tried it but my daughter doesn't like it what should I do.I tried putting nest quick and she still doesn't like the milk so Im still giving her formula.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try slowly adding the whole milk. Like take out one ounce of formula and add one ounce of milk. Gradually increase the milk over the next few days and decrease the formula. It make take a week or so but eventually she will learn the new taste.
    m4heaven

Answer by m4heaven at 11:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• try putting a little bit of Cairo syrup in it, it will keep her from getting constipated from the change and it also makes it a little sweet, thats what I did for my son when i switched then i started decreasing the Cairo Syrup after he was used to the reg. milk
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'd just slowly add milk to the formula. Start with 6 ounces of formula and 2 ounces of milk. After a few days, 4 and 4, then 2 and 6. That will help her get used to the taste.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Don't add stuff too it, it get's them to enjoy sweetened things, and they expect it to be sweet.

You can try goat's milk as well. It is healthier, and easier to digest than cow's milk BUT she doesn't need to wean off formula/breastmilk yet and cow's milk is NOT needed for nutrition.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my child hates Milk ....well all dairy really. Her doc said the same thing.. I ignored it. I've read in on different sites that it's not necessary for them to drink whole milk .....just make sure she gets her vitamins and minerals through nutritious meals.
    Lizard1970

Answer by Lizard1970 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You don't NEED to do anything. Just let her progress at her own pace. You could mix the two or alternate. Keep trying, but don't freak about getting her on milk. My son drank formula until he was almost 16 mos old. He simply did not like milk and he STILL does not drink milk. Hes almost 3 now and refuses it every time. We give him yogurt and cheese to replace it. I agree with the post about milk not being necessary. There are other things that can give the calcium and vit D without all the hormones.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I had the same problem with my son and he is now 19 months old. I slowly started adding milk to his formula. 2-6oz. then 4-4 and so on until it was all milk. It took a little while, but he still doesnt really like milk which I understand because I dont like milk. He will drink milk sometimes. I just try and supplement by giving him yogurt, chesse, cereal with milk, and other dairy products. I have also found that my son doesnt really care for whole milk. He drinks 2% much better. He goes through spurts though. He was recently sick and before he got sick he was drinking plenty of milk and now I am having to reintroduce it again.
    Shannon0622

Answer by Shannon0622 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with the answers that advise you to slowly start swapping out some of the formula for milk. Please don't add sweet things to it as a "bribe" because then she will always expect it to be sweet. I found that my daughter would only drink cow's milk if it was cold (as opposed to my warm breast milk). Are you giving it to her in a sippy cup instead of a bottle? That could make it more special and appealing, too. Also, try lots of different sippy cups because not all kids like the same ones. We can only use straw ones, for example.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my son just turned 1 in dec. i started him on half formula and half whole milk. Then I put half water half whole milk. Now I do 1-2 tablespoons of karo syrup with whole milk sometimes i still do half water half whole milk with karo syrup
    JadenMommy023

Answer by JadenMommy023 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2009