Has anyone noticed a behavior difference in their child after having their tonsils removed?

My 6-yr old son is having behavior issues at school and I have read that sometimes kids with enlarged tonsils will start bahving better once the tonsils are removed. Does anyone have experience with that?

momlovestorock

Asked by momlovestorock at 11:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son had his out at 14 the only change we had was he was never sick anymore. My granddaughter had hers out at 3. The only changes we noticed was she was less sick, less irritable bexcause she was sleeping better w/o a CPCP machine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When I had my sons out at five he gained weight. No I've had all my sons tonsils out and haven't noticed any behavioral differences

chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 12:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If you're wondering about taking them out and they're big but not making him sick and not given him sleep apnea (both of those happened to my 3 kids) then I'd work on behavior in different ways. One of my kids wouldn't pee in school for years literally cuz of bullying, hated the school bathroom and gym locker.Ask guidance to observe him in classes, lunchroom to see how h e gets along w/other kids. Removal of tonsils made my kids healthier but they had apnea.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was diagnosed w/ ADHD at 4. She was not really bad just couldn't sit still. About 6 months after that we had to have her tonsils removed b/c they were enlarged. After that she was a whole lot better until about 2 weeks ago we finally had to put her back on medicine just so she could concentrate at school. But I felt like her behavior improved greatly when she had her tonsils removed. I do know that she was peeing in the bed every night before her tonsils were removed and after that she never had an accident again. They say that b/c their tonsils are enlarged it makes them not sleep well so they are more grouchy and tired during the day than a normal child is.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 1:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I can't remember but I do know that my daughter never really slept well. She had sleep apnea and snored so loud. I felt so sorry for her. Now shes 10 and she sleeps so soundly. She never had behavior issues to begin with, but I have heard that it helps their appetite. So maybe with the combo of better sleep and better nutrition, they act better? Just a thought.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I know for my story, my oldest daughter had hearing issues, tubes put in her ears, had strep every time you turned around, was having speech delays which im sure contributed from the hearing issues, and at 5 while she was in kindergarten I had her tonsils and adnoids taken out, and I will tell you her behaviour and whole demeanor changed, her speech started improving she was able to communicate better and she started to gain weight was eating better, so mine was a positive experience but the only reason they took them out was due to having strep so often.
    lisadallasr

Answer by lisadallasr at 5:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• P.S...thats a CPAP machine..fingers got ahead of me. Also. My granddaughters speech improved dramatically. The developemental specialeist finally concluded her tonsils were so large that they were occluding the movement of the back 1/3 of her tongue.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Thanks, everyone. We are having them taken out because they are so large they are considered "kissing tonsils". He does not have recurring strep or even apnea, but he does have a lot of behavior issues especially in the afternoons and I know that one of the reasons is lack of sleep and he does not sleep well. I appreciate all of your responses. Tomorrow is the big day, so I will keep you posted to see if anything improves.
    momlovestorock

Answer by momlovestorock at 10:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• my son got his tonsils out and addnoise out and tubs in becasue he couldnt talk and he couldnt talk at all it was done at 4 1/2 years old and after he was 5 he got put on meds because he now has adhd n odd n goes to mental health every 2 weeks
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2009