What is the best thing to do for breast engorgement?

I'm not breast feeding and my right breast is engorged. I've tried hot showers, heating pads, and ice on it.. I don't know what else to do.. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do NOT use anything warm! That will stimulate milk production. It may feel good to begin with, but the engorgement will just continue on and it'll hurt longer.

Only use cold stuff to make it better, like cabbage leaves and ice packs. Tylenol or ibuprofen also help. But you'll have to wait it out, it'll take a few days to go down and then you'll be a-okay =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Cabbage and hot compresses. I used the Gerber Breast shields they worked great and i could use them at work and weren't very noticeable
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Cold cabbage leaves. It really works. Put those in your bra and when they warm, put in a new one. Not sure why it works, but it does. BTDT!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• YES, cold cabbage leaves and change them often. It felt good too.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If you're not breast-feeding, stick to cold compresses - this will help reduce the swelling. Warmth is great if you ARE breastfeeding, as it increases blow-flood and helps to soften the breast before feedings, but if you're not breast-feeding, it can make the problem worse!
    Taking Advil, or another form of medication for pain and inflammation, will help with the discomfort. Also, a good supportive bra can work wonders until the engorgement goes away.. (usually within a week after you give birth, if you're not breast-feeding)
    That being said, if you have a high fever, go see your doctor! Mastitis usually requires antibiotics to help clear the infection. Hope this helps! :)
    Sunni31

Answer by Sunni31 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Heat will make it worse because heat expresses the milk thereby telling you boobs to make more. The best thing to do if you're not planning to nurse is to grit your teeth and bear it. It will eventually pass.
    MaMaBean905

Answer by MaMaBean905 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Breastfeed.
    Anonymous

• i had the same problem n my mother in law works for an obgyn and she told me to find the tightest bra i own and wear it. morning noon and night for about 3 days n it will go down and sure enough it worked
    izzismom08

Answer by izzismom08 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• 2 tight fitting sports bras, no binding. Ice cold, crushed outer cabbage leaves in your bra for a few days.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• A friend of mind said she used cabbage leaves - she put them in her bra - said they really worked for her..
    vpsmama

Answer by vpsmama at 2:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2009