With all the issues ive had bf i just want to throw in the towel. My dd seems more content on formula, and bf has become so stressful!

My supply has dwindled down to almost nothing(I used to have more than enough! My boobs were huge!!), and weve been finger feeding supplements for weeks now. I just dontknow if i can keep this up!! I feel terrible, because i really really wanted to bf. I just dont know what to do. I went to my ob because my lc told me i needed a prescription to get my supply up. So i went, and was told they would call in a prescription for me.

This was on monday. Ive yet to get my prescription, because they havent called it in. No one knows what the heck is goin on in that freakin office. Ive drunk water till my eyeballs are swiming in my head, ive eating tons of oatmeal, ive tried mothers milk tea, im eating enough calories.... what else can i do???????? Maybe its just a sign to quit. I dunno. Im sooooooooo depressed.

becca2715

Asked by becca2715 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stress can cause your supply to go down as well, if you really want to keep bf relax and let her nurse as much as possible for a few days its a supply/demand kind of thing, the more she nurses the more you body will produce. at only 2 months she shouldn't need anything but breastmilk... good luck pm if you want to chat I'm currently bf my 4th :)
    abayhaymom

Answer by abayhaymom at 8:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Don't be Depressed, alot of moms goes through this. Its not your fault, so don't be hard on yourself. Things happen for many reasons, which are out of our control. If your little one is content on Formula, then keep her on formula. Do what you need to do to make the baby happy and healthy and it sounds like she is happy on formula. Good Luck hun.
    Anonymous

• and yes if she is happy on formula, and you are happy with her on formula, there is nothing wrong with giving her formula :)
    abayhaymom

Answer by abayhaymom at 8:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• DON'T stress i had so many issues bf my first i gave up after six weeks. With my second things were so different i bf him until the 7th month no problem. all babies are different do what is easy on you. DON'T feel guilty relax if bf is a hassle then bottle feed with every thing you've got going on you don't need any thing else to worry about.
    momontherun32

Answer by momontherun32 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I was so mad at myself when i stopped breastfeeding my first child. It took me a bit to get over it. It was totally worth it. My son took to formula SO much better then Breast milk. My husband got to feed the baby, My baby was happy. Everyone was happy. The Le Leche neighbor who was so disappointed in me was the only one who wasn't happy with the decision, I had to just say ,.;., her!
    Anonymous

• Don't give up, probably the reason why ur supply's low is because ur giving formula. But do what u think it's right 4 u and ur baby. I know it can b frustrating, try drinkin lots of water and juice. Pump it even if u r giving formula. Don't watch tv or do anything else that takes ur attention from the nursing. When I'm pumping and watching tv or on the computer I notice my supply goes down, as soon a start thinking of him the milk pours. Good luck.
    papai

Answer by papai at 11:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i had the same problem. i would let her nurse all day and i night we gave her formula because she was not getting enough breast milk. i was so stressed and i was at my dr and told her how i was feeling and she suggested lexapro. it worked. i also took fenugreek to help my supply. hope this helps
    addiraesmommy

Answer by addiraesmommy at 9:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• oh i was pumping every 2 hours to help with the supply
    addiraesmommy

Answer by addiraesmommy at 9:07 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I'm a new mother of a 1 month old baby girl... I had such a hard time bf... I stopped about a week ago and everything is going perfect now... no more stress, I feel better and so does baby.. she's getting plenty to eat, and sleeps better. I had plenty of milk and was also supplementing formula, she just was really fussy with the breast milk (maybe something I was eating) so i made the decision to stop, I was too stressed to enjoy it and it just didn't seem worth losing my sanity over. formula has everything they need and she got the good stuff for the first month. I also pumped for about 15 minutes after each feeding that helped with the supply. Just know that if you want to stop, do not feel guilty, there are lots of people out there that are perfectly healthy that were formula fed. Good Luck
    leslielynn

Answer by leslielynn at 10:25 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• because of gas and acid reflux that my boy was suffering when he was born I have been on an extreme diet: no caffeine, chocolate or carob, carbonated drinks, green vegetables, eggs, dairy, citric fruits, berries. That's all a can remember. I didn't like soy so I'm drinking rice dream, it's actually not bad at all. Smart balance to sub the butter. Hope this'll help.
    papai

Answer by papai at 12:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2008