What can I do I have a 12 year old boy who is frustrated ? He is a bit shy.

He is not sports inclined. I believe do to his slight above average weight. He likes the computer, WII games,and being a DJ. are some of his likes. He want's more friends to like him for who he is. What can I do to help him feel less angry and upset? Thanks,
Dizzy Lizzy

DizzyLizzy900

Asked by DizzyLizzy900 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Twelve is a tough age! Some 12 year old boys are teenagers interested in girls, clothes, and being cool. Some 12 year old boys are still playing with legos and toy guns. And there is nothing wrong with being like either group. Your son may have just "outgrown" a large part of the kids his age. Maybe the kids a year ahead of him in school have similiar interests? Almost all of my son's friends are a year ahead of him in school. Or he may just need to sit tight for a year until his classmates catch up with him.

Has he tried lots of different sports? Sometimes kids that don't excel at team sports like football, soccer and basketball enjoy individual sports like golf, wrestling or karate?

Most importantly, encourage him to be himself. If he changes who he is just to fit in and make friends he will still be angry and upset.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Is he interested in Karate or playing an instrument? I would talk to him about the importance of being himself and acquiring friends who like him for who he really is. Maybe if he's involved in some other activity he enjoys, he'll meet other kids with the same or similar interests.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would have to agree with the other moms who've posted replies 12 is a difficult age with boys they are at that line between childhood and being teenagers. having lived through this age with 2 boys its really important to get them involved in something. With my oldest it was sports he played soccer and basketball but with his younger brother he had no interest in sports but ended up enjoying boy scouts, rock climbing, and scuba diving (things he tried in scouting). So just let him try different things (do you have a Y by you) once he finds something he likes he'll find kids just like him to make friends with.
    xmasbaby73

Answer by xmasbaby73 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I also agree with the moms who suggested sports, instruments, etc. My son has played soccer for the last 4 years and loves it. It's also great exercise and an outlet for frustration when he's had a rough week at school. Is there a boys clube nearby? The Y is also a great place to start.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son now is 14 years old and is really doing great on his computer. Is there any new kids books for his age that would be good to share with us for him to read. He is now doing exercises and really getting happier then when he was 12. Hope t6o hear from someone soon.
    DizzyLizzy900

Comment by DizzyLizzy900 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son just turned 14 now. He is into computers and finally working out at a gym. Let me know if there are any new books for kids his age to read. Not sports. Hear from you soon.
    DizzyLizzy900

Comment by DizzyLizzy900 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011