What would be a good job for my hubby?

He's going to get laid off soon. He details cars for a used car lot and before that he was a security guard at a big Arena. Other than that, no job experience. I'm freaking out about finding him a job he can stick with. He's been detailing for 4 years and was a security guard for 2 or 3 years. Any Ideas?

katimae

Asked by katimae at 12:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I had a good friend that did car detailing and he made good money . He shopped around for good cleaning supplies and he would go around to businesses and ask if they wanted their car detailed. He was pretty pricey but he left your car looking like it was brand new. It price range was about $195 to more if the customer wanted stains etc removed. Maybe he should look into starting his own business. Go around to upper class neighborhoods and leave his business information. Stop by car dealers and offer his services. Pass flyers around neighborhoods. Or if you live near a base see if they are hiring for security guards on base.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 12:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Can he start his own business doing that? What about going back to school?
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Since he has done security work, what about a police officer? It is a stable income job with excellent benefits. They never layoff police officers. My DH has been one for over 10 years and he is bringing in close to $150k a year. Starting salary usually range from $40k-$60k a year depending on where you live.
    Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree with starting his own biz and going around to businesses and handing out business cards to ppl in stores to do it at their home as well.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm sorry but 150k as a police officer? wtf?
    Anonymous

• I would second the Police Officer/ Highway Patrol/Sheriff deputy idea. And while he is going to school he could have a Auto Detailing Biz of his own. MOBILE AUTO DETAILING is a big business. He would market it to people while they work...etc.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 1:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Answered at 9:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2009 by: Anonymous I'm sorry but 150k as a police officer? wtf?

Yes, that is correct. It is after ten years. He puts his life at risk everyday working in Los Angeles, not a little city out in the middle of nowhere with practically no crime going on. He is a Motor Cop and they work a lot of overtime. You can even make $200k. Men without families do make over $200k. He also has a Master degree so they pay for that as well.  He was also in the Military for over 13 years as a Military police so he gets paid for that too.

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Contact a security company doing work for civil police patrol in Iraq.
    Anonymous

• I was going to suggest law enforcement, too.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would suggest law enforcement or joining the military.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2009