hey any one here a...

is anyone here a nurse?? i think my water may have broken around 2 am last night and then at about 430 am it trickled out some more. im not sure if it was my water though. ive woken a few times throughout the night with aches in my stomach and back... have had a few contractions here and there but nothing major yet. i know you do not have to start having contractions right away after your water breaks but im wondering if it could just be pee? how can you tell the difference at home? does it have a distinct smell to it? this smelled kind of sweet and not like urine.

im 35 weeks and 5 days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• UMM the wise thing to do would be call your OB office

Anonymous

• it wont smell like urine, some people say it has a sweet smell and it is clear. It's not always a gush, and it could be a trickle so your water may have broken.

you can go get checked at the hospital. But beware, if they think your water broke they will want to keep you there because of the "24 hour window" that hospitals have created for delivering after the water has broken.

sorry, I am not a nurse though, but I have done tons of research in labor and delivery hehe.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• get to a doctor. You may have a leak, or a high leak, which is a form of your water breaking.
    Alaska_Moma

Answer by Alaska_Moma at 12:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• OMG, if it was not smelling like urine then you need to call your midwife/ob or is you are having a UC homebirth, start charting your temperature. I think you already know the answer and the answers you are gonna get. We can't read your symptoms and tell you if your water broke. My water broke at 28 weeks and I had NO contractions untill 33 weeks but I was constantly monitoring my temperature for signs of infection. DO NOT STICK ANYTHING IN YOUR VAGINA!!! Contrary to common beleife, taking baths is fine when your water has broken. Best of luck.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• just go to the doctor when i have my first baby i dint have any contraction or anything my pain was on my knees and my water broke so just go to the hopsital
    Anonymous

• anonymous i have called my ob they said to wait idk what to wait for though. so im asking DOES IT HAVE A DISTINCT SMELL.
    Anonymous

• Wehn your water breaks, you have 24 hours to get the baby out before there are a host of complications that could come in to play...infection, stillbirth from lack of fluid, etc...In my opinion, stop waiting for someone to cyber diagnose you and go to the doctor. If it did break, you don't have time to wait for responses on here.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm not a nurse...but it sounds like your water may have broken. Call your doctor. It should be odorless and colorless and will continue to leak. Try laying down to see if more comes out. Sometimes the baby's head will create a seal which prevents more water from leaking. If you lay down you take the pressure off. If your water did break...more will continue to trickle out. Contractions feel like period cramps at first and get progressively stronger.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• actually Danielle contrary to the belief that it has to be out within 24 hours of your water breaking, this is not true. a friend of mines water broke and was in active labor for 3 days. sometimes if you are too early, and your water breaks, your dr may give you something to stop the labor and you may not delivery for a few weeks. the 24 hour thing is not true when it comes to having to get the baby out.
    Anonymous

• don't listen to Danielle. Most women deliver their babies 36 or more hours after their water breaks.. it is not an emergency. Avoid vaginal exams, as well as sex, and bathing. You are only at risk of an infection if you allow foreign objects to be inserted into your vagina.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009