How many words is my 20 month old supposed to be saying ?

My second child is 20 months old he can understand to throw something away to go in the other room but he can only say Momma and Dada fequently I try and try to work with him on other words but he sits and stares at me like he dosen't understand refuses to try to say the word sometimes he babbles. I'm just really worried about him he falls very very frequently and its not the average baby falls its about 20 times a day bopping his head around he always has brusies on his forehead and face its really embarssing to take him in public.

cherishnikole

Asked by cherishnikole at 12:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he might have fluid on his ears that will mess with his balance and if he does he might not be able to hear you talking to him or be able to understand what you are saying take him to the doctor and tell the doctor you want him to see an ent doctor ear nose throat and they will be able to tell you if he needs tubes or not to help and he may need to see a speech therapists to
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Kids don't usually start picking up on words and repeating them until they are closer to 2. My daughter didn't say more than momma, daddy, kitty, and tickle. She was 24 months old when she started experimenting with new words. By the time your child is around 2 1/2, he should be able to say quite a few words and put them together in very small sentences.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is 22 months and has just within the last month or so started saying more words (mommy, daddy, juice, truck, stuck, go, ball, please, cheese, pretzel - granted his pronunciation isn't perfect, but we know what he's saying, lol)... I was getting worried for a while there too, but it seems like all of a sudden he's starting. He babbled ALL OF THE TIME in some crazy language since he was tiny, now real words are finally mixing in. My daughter was WAY more verbal by his age. So, while Wendy has a point, can't hurt to talk to the doctor, he may just be totally normal. My son also falls and bumps himself several times a day...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Take him to the dr.s to get his ears checked. IT sounds like he has fluid build up It;s not draining right. Trust me My son was the same way. I thought he was hearing impaired and no balance at all. Grant it mine was older but still the same situation. He had tubes put in his ears and now he just ignores me on purpose. He's a teenager now..Guess that's his job.lol
    jackieb1023

Answer by jackieb1023 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is almost 3 and at 20 mos...he said nothing. In the last 3 mos, he has really started talking to the point that it drives me crazy. Hes in repetitive mode. He says my name about 150 times a day. Hes considered speech delayed and definitely a late bloomer so it does happen. Just let him progress on his own. As long as you see progression even if its slow, then hes on the right track. I agree about the ears thing. Have them look for fluid.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son will be 2 on Valentines Day and he says everything. He has always been a talker though. One of his first words was Hey. I guess it must run in the family, his grandmother on his dads side wont shut up either! LOL
    mom2dane07

Answer by mom2dane07 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Every child is different. Mine is 20 months and says 3 words. Ears are fine, Dr said if he doesn't start talking by 22 months he needs speech therapy. I can only do so much at home.
    lwattar

Answer by lwattar at 8:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2011