Mac n Cheese comparison

Is there a difference between powdered mac n cheese and creamy mac n cheese (the boxed kinds, not homemade.) I've always bought the powdered kind and would like to try the creamy kind, but it costs like triple (twenty-three cents vs dollar something) Worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If you mean like Kraft vs. Velveeta shells and cheese, yes there is a difference, a very noticeable one. My kids love the powdered, while I prefer the Velveeta. It's much creamier, and doesn't look/taste gross when it starts getting cold. Kraft, once it's not steaming hot, is gross to me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I like it... The shells & cheese (velveta or how ever you spell that) kind is to die for... I just dont think i alway get that power to completely go away...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well generic versions, but yeah lol. There's boxed mac n cheese that has a sauce instead of powder, and I'm always tempted to buy it but don't want to waste my money in case the kids don't eat it. I wish I knew how they did it (make it so addicting to kids) so I could sprinkle that magic into veggies!
    Anonymous

• I've always been a creamy mac and cheese lover. My mom never bought anything else! I've had the powdered but it's no comparison IMO. We buy a lot of the Kraft EAsy Mac (powdered) for my son so we can fix him some fast if he needs dinner or something though.

But yeah...the creamy sauce is SO worth spending extra on. It's a completely different Mac N Cheese. Try it on your kids. If they like the powdered better because they're usedto it then just get the creamy for you! I prefer the Kraft Mac and Cheese Original, but have had the Velveeta shells and cheese and that's good too. Of course you can always make your own creamy mac and cheese at home also.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• We buy both, the powder kind for lunches and the creamy kind for dinners. However I never make the powder kind according to the box directions...I add a little milk, 1 Tablespoon of mayo, and the powder, and then a slice of american cheese. Then if I want to make it even better a little pepper, a drop of Worcestershire and a drop of mustard...and that is about it. WAY BETTER, and still cheap!
    Anonymous

• I don't use either, but when I read anon 1:12's comment about sprinkling it on vegetables, I wonder... how about mixing a small amount of cooked vegetables in? The cheese would coat the vegetables, which would make the dish more colorful, also.

Answer by Bmat at 2:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Kraft used to sell the powder in a container like a salt shaker, for those wishing they could put it on veggies. I don't know if they still do, but a couple of yrs ago they did. I used to buy it and sprinkle it on veggies and popcorn and stuff for my kids.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• the creamy kind does taste different in comparison to the powdered kind. I'm a mac n cheese lover so I love both! lol.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 4:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I do buy the box Kraft powder version...but, I dress it up...
    Make it as per box indicates, then I add a can of cream of mushroom soup and some more cheddar cheese ( actually the Mexican blend since that is what we like) and bake it at 350 for about 15-20 minutes...so creamy and delicious!
    Also, I like to add salsa to mine... My family does not like homemade mac n cheese... the infidels...grrrrr
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009