Going rates for watching another child?

I have a 20 mo. old, and my friend just had a baby this week :) I have been asked to watch her little man when she returns to work - 3days/week & everyother Friday...
What is the going rate for something like that? We live in CA, where min wage just went up to $8 as of the new year. And I do consider myself experienced with babies(mother of a 2 lb preemie that is now in the 29% for height & weight)

Any thoughts?

seratoli

Asked by seratoli at 12:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I pay someone 75week... To keep him at her house from 7:30-4:30
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I pay about $135 per child to go to daycare/preschool 3 fulls days a week. I'm guessing that since its out of your home and you are not certified in any early childhood education (or are you?), etc. that you would charge her less...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My neighbor pays me $25.00 per child during the summer for her 2 kids so she gives me 50.00 a day and its two days a week. Thats what she pays daycare to watch them too, I think $25.00 a day is a fair price.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Depends on your area and if you factor in how much she makes and how much "friend" value you're putting in there. $20 to $25/day
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oops, I meant the 98% - not the 29th.
    seratoli

Answer by seratoli at 2:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would talk to your friend, and come up with a rate that is affordiable for her and enough to help you out.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009