Anyone else have a problem with letting your SO family watch your child? HELP!

Ok, my son is now 1.5 months old and my fiancees mother and her husband have seen him a whopping 4 times. Mind you that in a week we are all moving out of state...They have never called to ask to come see him or to see if he needs anything, it's always they want me to take him out (in the cold) to their house and have HIM spend a night there.....HE'S 1.5 months OLD(the first time was when he was 3 weeks)!! They are just very ignorant and selfish, and I cannot STAND going over there because they act like they're 16, either arguing over something stupid or practically making out (theyre 50) they act like he's a year old and I am honestly afraid to leave him with them, which they want to watch him this Friday - and I dunno what to do - I want them to just come to us to make it easier, but Any comments welcomed :)

itsaboy1208

Asked by itsaboy1208 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 1.5 months old i didnt let my son stay with anyone! maybe im just a little overprotective but he's your kid so its your call. IMO thats just too young to be going anywhere without mommy. anyone who wanted to see MY son came to MY house.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would just explain to them you dont feel comfy leaving him yet. Its not that your being unreasonable.. He is tiny still. I am 38 weeks preg. and I live with my SO parents and I know I would not leave him with them when he was that little. You shouldnt feel bad about it either...
    Anonymous

• We have a standing rule...from even before the boys were born...barring emergencies, they do not stay overnight with ANYONE until they are at least 4 years old.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh yeah, in the same boat mama.. Just stand your ground, try telling them that you'd rather have them come over for dinner and then they can hand out with him before he goes to bed.. if they can't be bothered to get off their lazy bums and come visit him then too bad for them :) My DD is 4mo and I still wouldn't let her stay anywhere without me, definitely not at 1.5 months- that's way too young. Good luck with the ILs and the move!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my husband and i went on a mini vacation an hour away and left my 9 month old son at my in laws. when i got back i found him drinking from a foul smelling bottle (MIL isnt big on cleaning or hygiene) and other bottles filled with vitamin water and regular water with crap floating around in it. i was so mad, but he seemed ok initally, the next day he was really fussy and ended up with an ear infection... the medicine gave him such bad diarreah he was admited to the hospital for dehydration.... ill never let them watch him again.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 1:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• go with your gut feeling doenst matter who they are family or not
    Anonymous

• Funny I trust my inlaws over my own family. They may be that ignorant. They may not have considered how hard it is to travel around with a newborn in the cold. Some people can't see past themselves. When it comes to your baby don't worry about being rude. How does your DH feel? If you don't want a confrontation just say" the baby's not feeling well and its very stressful for all of us to travel to your home, maybe you can come here". Play the sick card on Friday too. Whatta they know he could have had a fever.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is a year old and has never spent the night away from me. I wouldn't care if it was my own mother or my inlaws. That is waaaaay to young. If they want to see the baby they can do it on your terms. Period.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• well i can really relate to you because my fiancees mother is the same way. but im just to the point where if you can't come see my child on your own then that is your loss because i have a life to and if you feel that you are to good to come and see my child then why should i bring my child to you. but at the same time my daughter isn't as young as your son. but still i would say that no my child can not stay with you on Friday but you are more than welcomed to come over and visit. becuase with the weather right now (i dont know how the weather is where you are but its really cold where i am) you dont need to have your child out. even if it is warm where you are your child needs to be in the house because he doesn't have a very strong ammune system yet so he is bound to get sick.
    Ashleyh0388

Answer by Ashleyh0388 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009