Question for the lefties and moms of left handed kids.

I'm wanting to know if this is a common problem, and advice on how to fix it if you have any. My 5 year old is left handed, and alot of the time writes letters and numbers backwards. When she first started writing her name it came out as a mirror image, we've worked on it and it's not a problem anymore as long as she starts writing from the left side of the page. Now the problem is letter reversals. She'll write the whole word correctly but a letter here and a letter there will be backwards.
I've done lots of research on dyslexia and am pretty sure she doesn't have it because the only symptom of dyslexia she has is letter reversals.
Is this a complication of being left handed?

Lornamay

Asked by Lornamay at 1:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is common for 5 year olds to write numbers and letters backwards, regardless of hand they use to write with. There are no complications from being left handed. There is a saying that my grandfather used to say (he was left handed)..."If you look all apes and monkeys are right handed that proves to me that most men are descendant of apes, but those of us that are left handed are descendant from god." ;)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is left handed and is only 2 so right now, I don't have that problem BUT my nephew is left handed and had that same problem....but as he got older he realized that they were backwards and fixed them....maybe that will help...idk...Good Luck!!!!
    bdmartin_81

Answer by bdmartin_81 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm left-handed. I think writing backwards is simply a learning process. All kids start that way. My right-handed daughter did. I don't think is has anything to do with being left-handed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My right handed son still has occasional problems with like b and d. He is 7 now. They don't worry about dyslexia unless the child isn't improving. I am left-handed and by the time I was 6 or 7, I was writing very well.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my daughter is 5 and she is left handed. she also forgets and writes her letters and numbers backwards.
    SweetMama823

Answer by SweetMama823 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My oldest son who is 5 1/2 is left-handed. He does this from time to time but I think it has more to do with his age than anything. At 5 years old they're really starting to recognize and write the letters and if they come out backwards sometimes then I think that's ok. It's a lot to take in! I think if they're still having a lot of trouble with it by 7 then they should be checked for a learning disability.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• No, its not because she is left handed. I have known and grown up with lots of people who are left handed and they have never had that problem. Be patient and don't make a big deal of it, Lots of kids that age reverse things when they first start writing.I've even seen this happen occasionally with 7 abnd 8 year olds.
    GrannyBobbi907

Answer by GrannyBobbi907 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My 10 yr. old DS and 6 yr. old DD, both of which are right handed sometimes (when they're in a rush to get their homework done) have the same problem with B's and D's. So, IMO, it's just them learning and has nothing to do with being right or left handed. JMO.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009