In need of new nap/bedtime routine!!

My 3 yr old was on a great schedule, nap at noon, up no later than 2:30pm and bedtime was set for 8pm. Now I have let her slide a few times too many on nap time and she's set on going down at 2pm, sometimes half hour later. This is making bedtime come at around 9pm and leaves no time for hubby & I in the evenings. She gets out of bed constantly and it takes normally an hour to get her to sleep. Any ideas on how to get her back to napping at noon? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

JessiesMomma06

Asked by JessiesMomma06 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel your pain Momma. My son is 3 1/2 and naptime no more. She's probably on the same path, so you're going to have some difficult days ahead. My advice to you is to wake her up early and schedule a nap after lunch. Tell her that if she doesn't nap now there just won't be one, play hard so that she WILL nap. Her sleep cycle will change, judge it accordingly and then don't let her sleep past a certain time, or only give her 30 min or so. This will change as she gets older until she won't need a nap at all and then you have to adjust it all over again. I have The Pocket Handbook to Parenting and it says that it is important to stick to their routine even on the weekends. I'm still working on it myself and it's hard when you enjoy your personal time while they're sleeping but it'll bite you back in the end. Good luck and let me know if you find something else that works!
    lil_babykins

Answer by lil_babykins at 2:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Adjusting their schedule is tough. My 5 year old was finished napping by 3, so that could be where you are headed, but my almost 4 year old still naps every afternoon at 1:30 for an hour and a half or so. He still goes to bed at 8. Though he doesn't always go to sleep right away, we have gotten him to the point where he generally will stay in bed. If you gradually bump the naptime up each day. Say 1:45 on Day1, then 1:30 on Day2, and so forth until you get her back to a noon nap. I know that we have done that sort of thing when adjusting bedtimes and moving from 2 naps to one and so forth. GOOD LUCK!!! You and your hubby need time together too.
    JTLMOMMY

Answer by JTLMOMMY at 3:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Mine quit naps at 3 years old. Sounds like your little one will be doing the same..I MISS NAPS!
    Anonymous

• My girls are 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 they both stopped napping a little while after they turned 3. Sounds like you are going to have to cut out nap time if you want her to go to bed earlier. Mine go to bed at 7:30 and are up between 7 and 8. Good luck
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have a 4,3 and soon to be 2 year old they ALL nap from 12pm -2:00 it was really hard to get my 3 year old to nap my kids all sleep in one room together in there own beds. When my 4 and 2 year old naps my 3 year old would NOT nap so i tell him he would have to sit on his bed and read books and he would fall asleep or he would sit there for 2 hours coloring or reading on his bed but when night came he would be out by 730 or 800pm. There have been time where they get off track but i tell my kids they have to take one and even if they dont have them sit in there room and do a 12-2 quiet time( i always tell my kids time to wine down)haha
    demonfairy23

Answer by demonfairy23 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009