• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone know of a good sugar tasting replacement?

I am trying to make my family healthier, cutting out all the sugar I can but Spenda, and Nurtra sweet have to much junk in it? We also want to loose weight my daughter has her junior prom so please let me know of any diets that are healthy and work fast!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• stevia is an excellent substitute for sugar, and is much sweeter, so less is used. it is also safe for diabetics as it does not affect a person's glycemic index. check out this site:

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?id=2413

hope it helps!
    ChristinaJCook

Answer by ChristinaJCook at 12:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Actually the artificial sweetners are more unhealthy for you than regular sugar. Trying to cut out as much sugar from your diet is key....What are you using sugar for? The sugars in fruits are the best.
    Anonymous

• For coffee, cooking. We love fruit, but also carbs and red meat lol! So this is a whole new thing for us! but we are serious about it. I can't do any good exercise because of bulging and herniated disc tried jumping rope made me want to cry! I have heard of something natural agauve? You know of good diet that isn't hard for teen to do too? She doesn't like alot of veggies so I am limited to what we can do. Thanks
    Anonymous

• Look up the Scotsdale Diet. It's what my family uses, and I've seen it work for them.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There is a new 0 calorie sweetener on the market right now. It's called Truvia and it's made from the stevia leaf so it's as 'natural' a 0 calorie sweetener as you'll get. Stevia leaf and extract have been used for thousands of years as a sweetener, and in Japan it's used for diet soda's by coke and such. The FDA doesn't approve plain stevia extract or leaves as sweeteners because they say enough testing hasn't been done. It can be sold as a dietary supplement though, so if you want plain stevia then you can buy it from a health food store.
    Anonymous

• For a diet, try sparkpeople.com It's a free website that helps you track your calories, gives weight loss advice and such.
    wulfbourne

Answer by wulfbourne at 4:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009