• In the Spotlight:

How do you/did you.....

...potty train your child??? My son is 2 1/2 and is almost ready I think. I have heard of using candy corn or m&m's or something like that. How did you do it with your kiddos???

bdmartin_81

Asked by bdmartin_81 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• add a few drops of food coloring to the water, when he pee's the color changes, its a magic trick
    drop 2 or 3 cheerios in the toilet for target practice, boys like it if its a game
    put a piece of poster board in the bathroom for reward stickers
    be sure to try and take them into the bathroom every hour, and also when you go
    dont give any kind of drink 2 hours before bed
    MsMESSx2

Answer by MsMESSx2 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My older kids were basically trained by daycare. They took them early and often and I think they used a bit of intimidation - you can't go to the big kids class if you aren't going potty. With my youngest, who is 5 years younger than the middle child, I looked for the signs: dry during nap, can go for a period of time during the day - like an hour or so w/out being wet, has an interest. DS2 was very resistant until the week before his 3rd bday. All of a sudden he had an interest and was dry for hours at a stretch, even while playing w/a house full of kids. I just put him on the potty, showed him how to tuck himself in and it literally took a 2 weeks. The peeing standing up thing came a few months later. He learned from his father and brother.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son has been on a potty training roller coaster! It was going well when we started him (~22 months) but since then he has made progress. regressed...it's so draining!! Maybe he's not ready but he CAN do it. I personally think he does't want to. This week we've been using a timer...every 25 mins after he gets home from daycare and before I give him a bath in the evening. When he hears the sound he knows it's time to go to the potty...so far we've had more pee pee in the potty than accidents!!
    In the past, I have tried a sticker chart, candy, fruit snacks as rewards....after a while he didn't care to get them at all.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• on my boys I used to use cheerios and have them aim at them hey it worked!!
    SweetMama823

Answer by SweetMama823 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2009