How can I get my two year old to eat more fruit and vegetables?

I try to hide it in the food, but he throws his hands up and cries when he picks it up and sees that there is something else besides mac n cheese or chicken.

Asked by Janette526 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Be sneakier! Instead of using whole vegetables use baby food purees. That way he won't see chunks of the veggie and get upset. Puree fruit in a blender (or, again, use baby food) and mix it into yogurt or add it to plain lowfat ice cream. This will work temporarily, but keep trying to give him the whole veggies and fruits to snack on. Eventually you want him to eat the things without whining!

Answer by laadeedah at 3:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• have you tryed giving him a fruit smothie or juiceing things like carrots and apples which my daughter loves or dehydrating fruit and giving to him that way, you can make chicken noodle soup and add lotas of veggies or beef stew with lots of veggies

Answer by suger-n-spice at 4:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Two words...Spinach Brownies! I promise they're not bad...just add the spinach in the mix. You can also use applesauce or yogurt instead of oil.

Answer by kballard at 6:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Peace dear why dont you try letting them go with u to farmers market choosing what they like bc there are many colors maybe them feeling included in the decision will help, also let them if their old enough participate in the cooking process and put their portion on their plate so they feel included

Answer by practicingislam at 7:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I use a lot of different kinds of vegetables and fruits and even though she can self feed I always like to cut them up into little peices and let her dip. She dips everything, in either a hummus, ranch or ketchup!
    She also loves to use a toothpick. I know that is odd, but if I give her a bowl of fruit cut up then let her eat it with a fancy toothpick she LOVES it. I think I will make a journal post about this now lol.

Answer by Oliviasmommy131 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2008