ssi

my Q. WHY DO SSA/SSI GIVE U BACK MONEY BUT THEN TELL U NOT TO USE IT? MY GRANDAUGHTER GOT APPROVED FOR SSI LOTS OF BACK PAY SHE IS 4 BUT THEN SAY ONLY USE IT FOR SCHOOL AND MEDICAL, SHE IS 4YRS OLD THE WAY I SEE IT DONT GIVE IT AND THEN CANT USE IT ON HER LIKE CLOTHING RENT ECT ECT COULD SOMEONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME

ME MYSELF JUSTED SEND THE REG CHECK AND 4GET THE BACK PAY...

6carebears

Asked by 6carebears at 1:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Kaycee is right. I used to work at a bank and I know plenty of people that got their children's SSI taken away for abusing the system. SSI is intended to be used for extra medical and educational costs resulting from a disability. Doctors, specialists, tutors, educational programs, all of that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Huh?
    Anonymous

• She is getting money from SSI for a disability. This is not like the "retirement" money that is given to retirees. This is money to help with the extra expenses of educating her and her increased medical costs. Any insurance program will limit what you can spend the money on and SSI is just another form on insurance.
    Everyone - disabled child or not - has to feed and clothe their child. The government has other programs to help with those expenses if you are having trouble making ends meet. Use the SSI money as they tell you to or they could fine you or even remove her from the program.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009