What do you do when..

you see a man/woman in uniform? I'm not talkin about police or fireman, but anyone in the armed forces.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Depends on where I see them. If I have a chance to talk to them, I will say "Thank You". If I am not able to talk to them, I'll give them a huge smile.

Or....I'll kiss him. :)
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Depends..if we are driving we always try to wave at them.. if they are in person usually myself of my hubby will walk over and tell them thank you and shake their hand...I'm a huge sucker...some of the greatest men in my life wore those uniforms...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Why are you not talking about police or firemen?????????????What should we do? I respect them .
    I personally respect every day our police and firemen ,they risk their lives every day too.
    Anonymous

• if they are in person...oO( i think what I was trying to say is if we are some where and the person in uniform is standing standing there) Good gravy I need more coffee
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm not saying that police and firemen don't deserve respect also. Thats just not who i was talking about in this particular question. Calm down and take a deep breath.
    Anonymous

• well i am surrounded by them allll day long :).... if i see one that has deployed i say thank you.... its kinda hard to walk up to every single one...:)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I remember reading on here once about a soldier who stopped at a red light (or something....I can't remember the exact story) and some woman who was crossing the road (I think) started screaming "Murderer!" at him.

Call me crazy, but I found that shocking and disgusting!!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It depends on where we are and what they are doing. Sometimes we say thankyou, sometimes we say welcome home, sometimes we just say hi. We don't see many in uniform here unless they are leaving, coming home or stopping for gas or a meal on their way somewhere else.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yeah Duster that is pretty disgusting.

I always try to say hi, thanks, start a little conversation...something to show them people actually support them and appreciate what they are doing. I am not a big fan of the anti-war protesters who have little to no clue why they are even protesting aside from "war is bad". Half of the protesters I have talked to can't even name a right we have aside from free speech, which um if you're protesting shouldn't you know the first amendment grants you that right too?
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• We were recently at airport and there were at least 500 or so military personnel there. They were lined up and down the halls waiting to be deployed to different areas. My eyes teared up and a huge lump formed in my throat. I tried to smile and nod in acknowledgement each one we passed. I stopped my three children afterwards and told them to look back at all those men and women who were in uniform, and explained that they were the reason we are a free country. That they are all going to fight for us and protect us, and I even explained gently that some of them may not be coming back home. It was a truly solemn day after that. They were all so YOUNG--men and women alike. It really makes you stop and think about what is important and what they each are giving up for this country.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009