How did you....

....potty train your child??? My son is 2 1/2 and is almost ready I think. I have heard of using candy corn or m&m's or something like that. How did you do it with your kiddos???

bdmartin_81

Asked by bdmartin_81 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be prepared to have a few accidents though it takes a while for them to understand that pee goes in the potty. When my son has an accident I just say something like. Oops did you have an accident, that's ok lets go to the potty and get you some dry undies. Try not to get upset or mad at him it will only make things harder. :)
    Aussiemom24

Answer by Aussiemom24 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i let mine potty trian themselfs
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I'm still in the process of PT with my 2 1/2 year old boy, we got a few potty books from the book store and we read them to him every night and while we sit him on the potty. so far we have had no luck but hopefully it will get better
    wiener

Answer by wiener at 1:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I used oatmeal cookies as a reward. It takes time, but about 30 minutes after eating we would have potty time, read a book or sing songs and sit on the potty for up to 10 minutes sometimes. I've also heard that taking them to the potty every hour on the hour will train them in 3 days, but who has the time. Some daycares do this and they say NOT to use pull-ups, it will actually make it harder. I hope this helps.
    lil_babykins

Answer by lil_babykins at 1:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well, we made a big deal out of getting a potty seat letting them pick out the one they wanted. Then we let them practice sitting on it. Then we'd have no diaper days (yes there we're accidents, but a diaper sometimes makes it so they are not aware of peeing) where every 20 to 30 minutes we'd try to go pee. Both of mine asked to go back to diapers, and I let them and within a couple of weeks they both asked to start again.
    Praise for when they go in the potty, for when they try to make it to the potty.
    Don't make a big deal if they make mistakes.
    Eventually they will get it.
    You can try target practice with cheerios, or get that toilet stuff that turns the water blue so when he pee's it turns green.
    candycane337

Answer by candycane337 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Our son potty trained himself right after his 2nd bday. He liked to pee outside. I kept him bottomless for about a week and he learned quickly when to go into the bathroom when we were in the house. He did get M&M's at first and lots of praise.
    Anonymous

• We just started by putting our son on the potty at bath time. I would just sit him on there before and after bath time and read a potty book to him while he was on there to make him comfortable. He accidentally went one time so we gave him heaps of praise, kisses and cuddles. We did this for a while and once I found that he could go about 30 mins without wetting his diaper and had gone pee on the toilet quite a few times, I changed him to underwear and took him to the toilet at regular intervals. I started by taking him every 15-20 mins. Every time he went we would clap and sing (make up a praise song and sing it every time he goes). It took a while but he now he can stay dry as long as I take him every hour or so. We started when he turned 2 and have been working on it for a month. He still can't tell me he needs to go yet and we have yet to tackle pooping. I hope this helps at least with how to start any way.
    Aussiemom24

Answer by Aussiemom24 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter is 21 months old and where still working on it, but shes does great during the day, and at nap time. bed time is another story..but anyways. We let her go to walmart and pick her potty seat out..she got an elmo one, (she loves elmo) so of corse she thought that was everything. I put her diapers away, and let her wear big girl panties it took a couple of days but shes doing great now. She wears 1 pull up a day and thats only at night time. we also sing a song while after she potties. good luck.
    Staceyymichelle

Answer by Staceyymichelle at 1:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i am waiting till my son turns 2 (march) you find a way that works LET ME KNOW !! : )
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009