need advice on 3 week old baby

So my 3 week old daughter at the hospital was hard to bottle feed never really wanted it now she is hungry all the time! I usually feed her every 3 hours but sometimes she is screaming for the bottle after 2. I usually give her anywhere from 3 ounces to 3 1/2. Does anyone know how much she is supposed to be eating at a feed and if theres any advice on what I can do to make her fill up more so shes not so hungry all the time? Is it to early for cereal? Should I be giving her more forumula or is there anything in between I can give her? I dont know what else to do for her to make her tummy full I dont want to over feed her and jeapordize her health.

Nychic155

Asked by Nychic155 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol, well you can't jeapordize her health by overfeeding her...just make her maybe get throw up a little and have a tummy ache...NO CEREAL... she is no where near ready... i would say increase an oz and she whats happens.... does she uses pacy's? sometimes they just want that sucking motion.... gl
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• you can give her more formula its to early for ceral give her like 4 or 5 ounces that what mine were eating before 3 weeks they were piggies lol
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Its way to soon to start cereal. Just feed her when she's hungry. Your not going to overfeed her. Making her full longer will only make it easier on you. It just means she's working harder to digest her food.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If your baby is hungry, feed it. More ounces and more frequently. The 3 hour time table is a recommendation not a rule.
    Anonymous

• If she's hungry for cryin' out loud feed her! Babies know when they are hungry, they know when they are tired, they know what they need......not the doctor or some stupid clock.
    Anonymous

• i would call her doctor that happen to my mother with my brother at 3 days old so they ended up having to give the cereal too him but before doing anything like that i'd have her checked out
    Anonymous

• just feed her on demand.
    it's way too early for cereal!!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Offer 4 ounces every 2 hours if that's what she wants.

Mine were taking 8oz every 2 hours at 6 weeks. There is no need for cereal, just give them what formula they want...what they need. My sons were taking almost 50oz per day before we started cereal at 4 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would say try to have her eat maybe 4 to 4.5 oz and see if she will alst 3 hours. It is too early for cereal.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 2:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Feed on demand!!! If she is crying, she is still hungry. Up the amount you are feeding her, then if she is still crying, give a little more. She should stop crying once she is full. Another thing too.... she may be fussy because of an upset stomach. She may need to get the air of of her tummy. Sit the baby up for a bit after a feeding and try to release the air by burping her. Bottle feeding does cause more air than breastfeeding, so you definatley want to burp her after every feeding. So you really have to listen to the baby and try things until you figure it out... it can be hard because baby's can not speak, but try feeding a little more and try burping after every feeding too! Good luck.
    mommylovesthree

Answer by mommylovesthree at 2:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009