Mangey Fox and a Bobcat?????

The other day, we spied a mangey (spelling?) looking fox outside in broad daylight. Now, we do live in the woods but in a well-populated area, so we don't generally see that kind of wildlife during the daylight hours. The thing didn't look like it had rabies or anything, but it was missing some hair on its butt-just really ugly. This morning my mommy-trained ears heard what I thought sounded JUST like a baby at full wail! It woke me right out of a dead sleep and it was really scary sounding! Now, I've heard that bobcats sound like babies crying, but do foxes make that sound too? It sounded like a cry of pain more than just a normal animal sound. So what I'm trying to figure out is, do we have just a crazy fox or a fox and a bobcat too? Anyone have experience with this? Should we trap the animal and relocate it?

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 1:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• honestly, i would call the animal control. fox do come out in the day time. when i used to hunt, i would see red fox all the time. we even would see them at the beach when we would go canoning in the lagoons. a good sign if an animal has rabies is that it will walk as if drunk. it won't scare easy either. we had a rabbid racoon go through our yard when we were young (you never saw kids forced into the closest house so fast) my dad used to hunt and a neighbor had a gun. they both went out and shot it and then called the county animal countrol. if you are really worried, ask them to send someone out and check around. they may even set traps out to catch them. but i would start there.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I've not heard that about bob cats - just coyotes.
    But it doesn't matter if it's a fox, a bob cat, or a coyote - don't do anything yourself. Call animal control and tell them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009