SCHOOL IS MAKING THIS BABY ....

My 3 year old grandson just started school 3 wks ago...and oh my god ...he is so bad...he is acting like a little baby....he cries and doesn't get up he wants us to carry him and feed him....oh it's awful...he is non verbal high functioning autism...me and my husband care for him alot he lives with us and his mother too..she works late alot of the times so we are the first ones that get home and my mom..she cares for him during the day says that he comes like that from school...what should we do? we talked to his teacher..he went to our home to talk to all of us ..and we told him that he has rules also and we say no to him...like his brothers...we don't baby him...because of the autism...he gets treated the same....any advice......we are getting tired of him ackting like this..........

1grandmother

Asked by 1grandmother at 1:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well i am not to sure to say.... his brain doesnt work like the rest of his brothers... you have to keep that in your mind... i never seen him so i cant really say... i had a friend whose son had autism and as much as she wanted to not baby him, she really had no choice..... are their special doctors maybe he can see?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• there* s
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

• I understand your frustration. My son is HFA, didn't talk til he was 4. You will, however, have to make some allowances for him. He is not spoiled, he is having difficulty expressing himself. A good behavioral specialist is on the top of my suggestion list. Second, I would have the school board evaluate him for early intervention. My daughter is in this particular class in Florida. She is offered full time school, where she receives speech therapy, OT and PT. They will even transport her to and from my front door (But I drive her) and doesn't cost me a dime. She even eats breakfast and lunch there. I think you need a break, and I know that it is the school board's responsibility to step in and help your Grandson get to the level he can be so he isn't so far behind when kindergarten starts. The current school you have may really care about him, but might just not have the resources to help. Good luck.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 4:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Sorry, ran out of space! Anyway, I have 2 kids with this similar issue. Oldest son, who got no intervention and it is harder, and my youngest who has a lot of intervention and she is blossoming! I also have 2 "normal" kids in the middle. There are expections that you have to make and unfortunately it is JUST HARDER to raise these kids. Get help! Good luck!
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 4:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• sorry I should have mentioned that the school that he is going to is the early intervention and he has a therapist there...thank godness that our case manager has been very good to my baby...and has helped us alot he goes in at 9 am and is out by 1pm right now we are taking him due to transportation rescheduling...so hopefully they will start picking him up...my husband says that when he goes to pick him up ,,the aids or his teacher are carrying him or chasing him...to show him something...my husband says that they don't say or try to say no to him......is this normal for the school or is it just his teacher and aids..????
    1grandmother

Answer by 1grandmother at 4:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• There is probably some reverting in his behavior because of the change and it is so hard for him to deal with the change. I would encourage visiting at school and bring some of the things they do at school into your home. If there are charts or toys that you can afford then get them so he has things that are familiar. As well as asking the teachers if you can take pictures of the classroom and talk to him about them at home. It will help him to see that the school is okay with you. Patience and consistency are very important here as well. Good luck.
    JuliaMBrink

Answer by JuliaMBrink at 5:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009