How do I teach my son the religious beliefs of both his parents?

My fiancee is Morman and I am Wiccan and I am wondering how to teach my son (Hazen) both without being biased about mine... My fiancee is worried that Hazen will be more interested in my religion and not give his a chance and I don't want him to miss out on at least experiencing both for himself and making that decision for himself later in life.

PhotographyM0m

Asked by PhotographyM0m at 1:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You need to make it a group conversation at all times. That way fiance' can talk about his, and you can talk about yours, and there will never seem to be a "side" taken.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My dh is Christian and I am Wiccan and we don't openly talk religion in the house (nothing bad, just don't) but bc we live in a very Christian base community, if our gs(8 yrs old) ask a question we give him both of our answers and tell him that niether are wrong...
    tho right now he is picking up more pagan aspects than Christianity.... dh doesn't mind this... we also explain to him that our beliefs are NOT the only ones out there...
    But we don't openly sit down and discuss religion ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• First off, just trying to make sure I understand here...it's YOUR son, not his biologically?? Second... I applaud you for being so OPEN and wanting your son to learn about both and make a choice himself. How old is your son though?? I can see this being VERY confusing for a young child. Are you familar with Mormon beliefs and practices? Is your fiance well read in your practices? Is Hazen going to attend with fiance/hubby or do you just want to him learn about things right now? Is he already involved in your practices??

I'm honestly not sure how I would go about dealing with mixing the 2 beliefs without totally confusing the child, but I know that others have done this with different beliefs in the past. I'll sit back for a bit and see what your answers are and what others have to say.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My husband is Christian I am Pagan... So I hear you! We decided a long time before we had kids that religion is a personal thing and that only our kids can choose what to believe. SO we don't "teach" either. We celebrate holidays for both beliefs as a family and don't show the children any favor to either. Now, my oldest is only 2 but when they are older and have questions we will answer them as "Mommy believes" or "Daddy believes" depending on what the question is. We solve these things together. There is no real perfect way to teach both. So we are teaching neither.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• We are doing the same as Sabrina....Eric is Agnostic learning towards Christian and I am Pagan. Once our kids start showing an interested in religion we will encourage them to study the various faiths (not just the most prevalent ones or just our beliefs), we will answer questions about our beliefs and will help them find the answers about others and we will support them through their journey but unless they choose either of our beliefs and come to us for guidance there will be no teaching.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I was bought up Muslim,and my husband is Pentecostal Christian. We dont teach her each others beliefs, we do however teach her our own individual beliefs. If I want her to learn or know something I will teach her that, and if my husband wants to teach her something he will do that. I dont think it is my responsibility to teach her about Christianity since i am not a Christian, but I have no problems with her learning about it just as my husband feels the same about mine. My daughter has gone to both Mosque and Church and she still has a alot to learn about both religions. We decided to let her and any future children we have to chose their religious paths, we dont find it fair to push her towards one or the other. I dont know if I answered your question, but this is what we do in a 2 religion home.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My husband and I are of different faiths (and different faith backgrounds.) I'm a Buddhist with Christian roots, dh is an atheist with Hindu roots. We basically have 'religious discussions' as a group, as the subject comes up. We talk to them about various ideas but stress that no one knows for sure which (if any) are right and that they will make up their own minds as they think about it. HTH a bit! It is challenging to have different faiths but it can work out just fine!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• www.religioustolerance.org Talks about all faiths with no bias. But you might want to wait until he's older. it never hurts to have a guideline though. We just focus on morals and values here with our kids. They will be allowed to choose their own path, but we always help them find the answers to the questions they do have. About any religion they want to know about. Hubby is Buddhist and I am not part of any organized religion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• The best way I can think of, is to tell him first that there are many religions out there..explain your DG and yours, as well as others as well... and when he is older, let him decide his own path.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If it were my child I would make an effort to learn about my hubbies beliefs and make sure he is well versed in mine. I would also sit down with my husband and ask him why he believes what he believes and tell him exactly why I believe what I believe. That way if asked I could explain it to my child "Daddy believes this because of this." I would never tell him that dads beliefs are wrong, if asked you can just say "well mommy doesnt believe that mommy believes this and daddy believes that." I would also include him in my religion wholeheartedly but I would make sure that he attended dad's religious functions as well. We would celebrate both religions holidays and we would do both circles and church.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 7:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009