How long should my SIL use nursery water for her daughters formula? Or can she use bottled water instead?

jbardwell

Asked by jbardwell at 1:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used bottled water the entire time my dd was on formula. I didn't use nursery water because it has floride in it, if I remember right.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 1:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• She can use tap water if she wants. Filter it if there are old pipes or well water, but if it's city water, just use tap.

Other than that, as mentioned in another thread about the same thing....bottled is fine. Nursery water is a marketing gimmic.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i too would caution with the nursery water. flouride really is not good for infants, let alone ANYONE. i just used regular tap water.. but then we were on a well....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I used Nursery water for the first 4 months, and then I went to just using tap water (but our tap water has a great rating and our pediatrician said it would be just fine - not sure about your area)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Around 4 months I switched to tap water. My pediatrician said it was fine because our public water was certified, or whatever they call it. He said NOT to use water from any uncertified wells, like on a farm.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• First of all, if the pipes are old..there's probably going to be lead in them..look up on the internet what that causes in babies! Bottled water that's filtered to remove all the salts etc is the best!
    Anonymous

• You can use any bottled water. The nursery water has fluoride added but if your sil cooks with fluoride, she will be getting enough in her diet. If the formula has fluoride in it, the baby may actually get too much and it will stain her teeth. It sounds backwards, but it's true.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009