Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Military ID's

My husbands recruiter told me before he left that a week after he starts boot camp which he does on the 20th he is at reception now. that i could go to DEER to get my military ID. now my question is for you who have done it is what do i need to bring with me? and are there forms i need to fill out any info would greatly help:)

Answer Question

Asked by mommy2be77 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2012 in Military

Level 5 (60 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • My husband sent me a form I needed to fill out and take with me. I can't remember the # of the form though, it has been close to 7 years ago, lol. Can you call the recruiter and ask? Do you know where you can go to get your ID? Is there a base close to you?

    Answer by ILoveCade at 11:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2012

  • yeah there is a base about 45 mins from me. I do know where to go unfortuanlly the site wont let me make an app

    Comment by mommy2be77 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2012

  • DD Form 1173 I believe is what you need. Is there a phone #? You could call and ask if you can just come in and fill it out once you get there. Or at least ask them where to get one. I do remember my husband sent me the form from boot camp, maybe yours will too? What branch is he going into?

    Answer by ILoveCade at 12:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

  • The recruiters office should have the form for you plus answer any questions you may have.
    I sent my husbands form to him from basic.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

  • He is in the army

    Comment by mommy2be77 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2012

  • You need a specific POA stating you can make changes to DEERS. You need to bring your birth certificate, social security card, and DL. Both names must match on your ss card and DL.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

  • I just had to get my id card renewed. You need a special poa allowing you to fill out an DD 1172 and sign your hubby's name or a completed DD 1172. You'll also need your birth certificate, your marriage license, and a state or government issued photo id. The only thing I can't remember is if you need your social security card initially but i'd take it just in case.

    Answer by MissKittyKat21 at 2:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2012

  • The last two responses are correct. The sponsor either has to be there in person or you have to have a special POA stating you can change information in DEERS. You will need your birth certificate, marriage license, driver's license, and SSN card (they have to enter your SSN into the system). If there are any children that need to be added to DEERS, they would just need the birth certificate, SSN card (and custody papers if there are any children from a previous marriage--not sure if they require them, but it's good to have it just in case).

    Answer by laird6372 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2012

  • It's DD form 1172, doesn't matter which service though my hubs is Army and that's what I had to have. Any time you are dealing with anything Army related have your marriage license. You shouldn't have to have a POA to get your ID card, he will have you registered by the time the recruiter told you to go get the id. You will also need your driver's license and make sure you know your hubby's SSN, it is your lifeline from now on, you don't exist in the army without it. You should also need your social security card though they don't put the numbers on the id's anymore. If you have kids your hubs will have registered them in DEERS when he registered you.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Military
Military Moms?

Next question overall (Relationships)
Please don't do me no favors... adult content