My daughter is 4 months old and eats like a horse. The Dr. said she is to fat, when can I give her water?

LilMamaCrooks

Asked by LilMamaCrooks at 8:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Water can be introduced around 6 months of age.
    Anonymous

• have you started giving her rice cereal yet. with both of my kids we introduced it at 4 mos old. Now docs say 6 mos- but 4 worked for us. If she gets cereal once a day, it may help her fill up. How much does she weigh?? you do not want to give her water yet.
    cmlowery

Answer by cmlowery at 9:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i started giving my son sugar water the say after he was born so it should be perfectly safe it helps moves their bows when their constipated too!
    TannaDunlap

Answer by TannaDunlap at 9:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I wouldn't give her water for awhile. Especially if you're breastfeeding exclusivly, your breast milk has absolutly everything she needs when it comes to fluids. If you've started her on solids, it may be a matter of what you're letting her eat. Rice cereal mixed with whatever milk she's used to (breast or formula), and vegi's. Stay away from fruit until she's nice and happy eating just the vegi's because generally fruit is much better tasting than vegi's because of the sweetness.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 9:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Call the office back and tell the nurse he did say she was too fat- and ask what you can do/ what he advises. I nursed my babies on demand- when they were hungry, I fed them (only milk though at this age).
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Water wont help her to eat less, and is not a good idea.

Also, at this stage she needs to be getting all of her nutrition from breastmilk - not food. There is no reason she should be eating anything else for any reason. Using water, cereal, or baby food to help her drink less milk will actually deprive her of needed nutrients. Solids are much less complex than breastmilk, and infants tummies are very small, solids cannot offer the same much needed value ounce for ounce as milk can.

Chances are she is NOT fat to begin with. Babies do not over-eat, but doctors have a tendancy to refer to charts and percentages incorrectly or generalize all children. There is VERY LITTLE chance she has any problem with her diet.

Feed her breastmilk (or formula). That's it. Delay solids until 6 months. And until she's around 10-11 months there should be very little emphasis put upon baby food as a "meal".
    momxfour

Answer by momxfour at 12:34 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• ask what your doctors suggestion is for a diet. she may or may not be on solids, but ask him/her. its said you can provide up to 56 oz of plain cool water after 6 months if eating a variety of foods. again, your pedia should know.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 11:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• i was told by my dr. not give my baby water. and she is 5 months old. she gets enought alrdy. how can a baby be to fat. she is in 12 months and 18 months and has been since she was 4 months. they may get chubby but after they start walking and bottle broke babies most of the time lose the chubbyness.
    estasia

Answer by estasia at 1:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2008