MLK DAY, Did your kids learn about MLK? Why or why not?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2012 in Holidays

• I teach my kids about him. I show his speech.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• One day when he is old enough I'll explain. But right now skin color means absolutely nothing to him and I've got no intention on making him question any differences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• In the K-5 grades they spend a lot of time on MLK. In the high school and middle school not so much. When they do study American history in the modern age they do cover him again.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• Every year in elementary school they cover him & last year took it a step farther. My dau picked her fav. African American to do a study about & create a poster board. She picked Oprah :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• usually they will learn something about him today...
    most often their history lesson from the week before leading up to
    is all they get...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:03 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• I answer any questions they might have when they ask. I guess they do teach about it in school. My 6 yr old has no clue or idea who he is so I guess they teach it later in school. She is in 1st grade. We told her last night a little bit because she asked why she was not going to be able to go to school and see her friends today.

Answer by gemgem at 8:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• whatever the school is explaining to them today. we've absolutely never discussed him at home.... just never came up yet. they're only 5 and 7
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• My son's preschool has the day off but they sent home a package titled "I have a dream". It was all about things we hope and wish for and a very watered down version of the concept of peace and equality. It was very cute. My son told me a few months ago that some people have different color eyes, hair or skin but what is inside we are all the same.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2012

• my daughter is only 5 months she still has time
    mrzjohnson26

Answer by mrzjohnson26 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2012