Question for those who believe in God.

I have been going through a real crisis of faith, where I find myself doubting whether god really exists. The main reason why I've believed is that I feel that there must be a purpose for our existence. But lately, I've been thinking about how many things exist in the universe that seem to have no purpose, such as other planets and am starting to think - If there's no purpose for Saturn for being there, why think there is a purpose for us to be here? I hope this makes sense. But I just wonder if there is a god, why would he bother to make planets w/0 life. There seems to be no reason for it. Do other believers wonder about this. If so, how do you rationalize it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is Human Nature to wonder about things and be curious. It doesn't make you a bad person or a non believer it just makes you human. I often wonder what our purpose on Earth is too, why are we here? I don't know the answer to that, no one but God does. I feel that my purpose while on Earth is to be a loving Mother to my children and a loving Wife to my Husband. Take care of my fellow man when they need me, and I can offer help and to have a fullfilling and happy life. I find that those things make me feel that I have a pretty good reason to be here. So long and short of it...Others wonder the same thing my dear.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 2:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I understand what you are saying, but the idea doesn't worry me. I don't expect to understand all of His plans. We don't know that there isn't something going on with those stars and planets or whether there wasn't something in the past or will be in the future. For example, and interesting that you should mention Saturn, which makes me wonder if it wasn't in His plan that I answer this question, but over the weekend I saw a picture taken of Saturn from behind Saturn and eclipsing the sun. The picture is breathtaking, the rings stand out clearly, it made me catch my breath. Who's to say that the purpose of Saturn isn't just to delight our hearts with its beauty. But maybe some day an element or substance will be found there that cures disease, who knows. Hugs to you in your search and questioning. I wonder if praying would help. Best wishes.

Answer by Bmat at 2:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I would say that just because you can't figure out the purpose of something, it doesn't mean it doesn't have one. For years science has claimed that your appendix had no purpose and that it was just evolutionary waste, but in the last few years they have figured out that the appendix does have a purpose. It's where the bacteria that helps keep your intestines healthy grows.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• i think everything has a purpose we just don't know why saturn is there but god knows. maybe it's there to help the alignment of earth.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• another thought. i have thought this myself but when i didn't have god in my life my life really sucked. that is why i keep god in my life now. helps me to believe that he cares for me to keep me happy and safe.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Saturn does have value. If you believe in God, then Saturn must have value simply because he created it. It is the nature of man to question his world. Saturn may have some purpose, like the alignment of the Earth, or it may have intrinsic value only. Meaning that it has value simply because it exists. It is beautiful and for hundreds of years, it kept scientists busy. The discovery and study of the other planets was the beginning of science. Science has brought us many wonderful things.

Everyone has a crisis of faith. It's normal. Keep reading your scriptures and praying. It will come back and you will feel stronger for it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I understand what you may be trying to say. However, I believe that everything has a purpose. Im sure that if you did some research about what things are and the purpose of that specific thing you would find the purpose of everything. We need God in our lives to survive and for salvation. God put everyone and thing here for a reason and that is that. Im not trying to preach to you about God, or trying to change your mind, Im just stating my opinion.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Continuation:
    I also know that from time to time everyone has thoughts of "what if", I know that I have, but later I will come back to the same answer,that God is here to help us and for us to love and have faith in him, and my belief gets stronger. I dont believe in organized religion, and maybe that is why I have more peace of mind about God, becuase I am not worried about this sin or that rule. I just follow my heart and do what I think is right or wrong. If you follow your heart and its pure it will not let you get lost, meaning God will never lead you the wrong way. Good Luck on your spiritual path in life!
    MaiasMommy619

• God cares about even the little things. Maybe Saturn is there because God knew someday little boys would be thrilled to learn about a planet with cool rings around it. :)
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 7:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well, there is a purpose for the planets. Do some research and i'm sure you'll find that if those larger planets werent around that the world would have been detroyed by a comet thousands of years ago. Seriously, do some research about the purpose of things.
    Also, maybe you need a switch in faith. I believe that having faith is important. but i dont believe that you have to be Christian to have faith.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2009