If you were a bad parent.

Could you admit it? Or would you be in denial?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I could and would admit it.
    I am my worst critic and that's no lie. I critique everything I do so if I was being a bad parent or did something bad I'm sure I would acknowledge it.
    Anonymous

• I feel like a bad parent all the time. My friends and family always say "Nooooo.you're a great parent" but sometimes I feel unworthy of motherhood. Maybe the really shitty parents think they are doing a great job. Maybe it's all reverse. Who knows? I do know some crappy parents, though, and they really don't seem to think there is anything wrong with how they do things (though I would definitely say that being a meth head with your child around to see how you act and living in that poisonous environment constitutes BAD parenting)
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Kind of like if you think your not crazy, you are? Lol.
    Anonymous

• If you even think you may be a bad parent, and everytime you punish your child you feel terrible for doing it. You are not a bad parent!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 2:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I am like MammaMia. I know some parents that think that they are the best in the world because they remembered to give their child a bath once that week. Then I know some parents that are really good parents that question themselves constantly. I am always questioning myself. When one of the kids is sick, or if SS gets more sugar than normal that day. When one of the kids gets in trouble I wonder if I was too hard on him. Just things like that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I know I make mistakes, but I try everyday to fix them and make them right. To me, that makes me a REAL parent.

Everyone's definition of "good" and "bad" will be different so it's hard to say who's REALLY good or bad. I know I do my best and that's all that matters.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I think ReneeK3 has it right - no "good" or "bad" parents.... Just "real" or "unreal" parents. If you are trying your best (and you know it) and your kids are happy, healthy, and safe, then you are okay. I think that if one of those factors was in question, a person ought to look at themselves and decide whether they are doing something wrong in that particular case. If you can do that, then you are a "real" parent. If you don't care what's going on, or aren't trying your best, then you have some thinking to do.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 3:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't think I truly bad parent can admit to it. When I feel like a bad mom, I just tell myself if I were truly a bad parent, I wouldn't care if I were a bad parent.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I think that I have good days and bad. I try to apologize when I know I wasn't nice and try better the next day. The best thing about kids is that they are resilient and can forgive almost anything for a sincere parent. They love us, aren't we lucky to have another chance tomorrow?
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 3:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My best friend ( who is older and wiser then I) told me that if you question your parenting, then you are a good parent. Reasoning being that you are striving to be a great parent. Those who don't care if they are good parents, usually aren't.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009